𝙭𝙭𝙫. TODFTHR

Start from the beginning

She jogs over to Isla who sits alone at the edge of the fountain.  Her eyes flit over to Robin and then to Nancy and finally to Abby who takes a seat beside her.  It's been a long time since she's seen her friend without having to keep secrets hidden away from her.  It's almost relieving to know that the bond that they all share with Nancy, Jonathan, Steve no longer has secrets hidden away beneath the smiles and laughter shared over the lunch table.

"Hey, how are you holding up?" Abby asks softly as she wraps an arm around Isla's shoulders.

Isla shrugs as she leans into Abby's embrace.  "I dunno.  Confused?  Scared?  Everything's just happened so fast.  One day I'm resisting the urge to punch Tom Holloway in the face, and the next rats are exploding and people are melting."

Abby nods sympathetically.  She knows how it feels to suddenly be thrown into the madness of the Upside Down with no warning.  It's like being dunked in cold water; the cold, the way it feels like you can't breathe, the way everything seems to feel alive inside you after that. 

"Well, I know what it feels like to just suddenly be thrown into all of this," she tells her friend.  "I have to go, but we'll meet you at the Illinois safe house.  But just know, if you ever need to talk, I'm always here."

Isla nods and wraps both of her arms around Abby.  Her embrace is warm, like the warmth of Steve's hand, but it's different too.  There aren't the butterflies that squirm around her in chest when she hugs Isla, but regardless, she melts into the warmth of their friendship.

"I've missed you," Abby tells her.

"I missed you too," Isla replies.

Reluctantly, Abby pulls away from her embrace.  "I have to get going."

"Hey, stay safe," Isla calls.

"You too," Abby replies.

Abby steals one last glance and a final parting wave at her friend before she joins Steve, Dustin, Robin, and Erica who stand patiently by the door.  The rest have already said their goodbyes to their friends and siblings with promises to see them later in Illinois.  Abby only hopes that they can make do with their hesitant promises.  Together, they push through the glass doors of the malls, stealing one look back at their companions.

"Oh man, now this ... this is what I'm talking about!" Steve exclaims as he points to the car pulled haphazardly near the glass doors of the mall.  It's sleek and off-white, the pain shines under the moonlight, and the license plate reads TODFTHR, but there doesn't seem to be anything particularly exciting about it.  Regardless, Steve wears a bright smile on his face.  At least he's found a reason to bring the light to his eyes for just a little bit.

"Todd Father?" Robin reads.

"Oh, screw Todd!  Steve's her daddy now!" Steve exclaims as he launches himself into the driver's seat.

"Did you just talk about yourself in the third person?"

"Did he just call himself daddy?" Erica questions.

Abby pulls open the door and climbs into the passenger's seat beside Steve while the rest squeeze into the back of the car.  Dustin launches himself up and over the car door and lands in the backbench of the car, followed by Erica and Robin. 

"All right, where are we going?" Steve questions.

"Weathertop," Dustin answers.

"Weather-what?"

"Just drive."

"Okay, Jesus!"

✫*゚・゚。.☆.*。・゚✫*