Chapter Two

The expensive alcohol was hidden in the room that George was staying in, that way none of the normal partygoers would find it. This stash was meant for the boys.

The chick takes a quick swig of the expensive bottle of Grey Goose before I snatch it away from her, reminding her to go a bit slower.

She pouts for a moment, but I hope she understands that I'm trying to help her.

On our way out of George's room, someone stops me. It's a girl who definitely looks too young to be at this kind of party. She presses a hand against my chest, effectively holding me in place as I watch the girl continue down the hall.

"Where'd Nick go?" She asks, a slur apparent in her voice.

I play off my grimace with a smile and act confused, not wanting to give up the whereabouts of the room Nick's probably already asleep in, knowing he would probably gratefully open the door to just about anyone looking to come in. "I'm not sure. Maybe downstairs?"

By the time I look back up, the girl I was tasked with watching over is gone. I roll my eyes and sigh, hurrying down the hall to look for her, still carrying the vodka with me.

She's not in the living room, nor is she in the kitchen. I peek downstairs, but it just looks like a heavy smoke session. Considering her proclamation from earlier, I assume she's not with them.

I open the back door and look out into my backyard. A few people are sitting around, including George and Georgia. Georgia had taken residence on top of his lap and they seem to be already sharing a drink.

She's not out here either.

I find her downing a raspberry Mike's in the middle of the living room, surrounded by others doing the same thing. I'm not sure how I missed her the first time; she's the only one that anyone seems to be looking at.

I approach and smile at her, but her face drops into a scowl.

"What?" She shouts over the music.

"Your friend asked me to make sure you have a good time," I respond wearily. She doesn't seem to want me to help.

"Okay? And?" She says. "I'm having a great time. Go back to hosting, or whatever the hell you were doing before you started babysitting me."

I respond with a tight smile and back off a bit. I just want to help, but she definitely doesn't want me to now.

As I'm walking away, she takes the vodka bottle from my hand and nods her head appreciatively at me.

I let her take it. She probably needs it, anyways.

I watch as she takes swig after swig from it. She probably drinks about half of the bottle before it gets taken by another girl, who downs the rest easily. It's a bit scary, honestly. The girl who finishes the bottle immediately trips over the arm of the couch.

An old friend stops me suddenly and starts talking about the party. We talk for maybe about twenty minutes before I realize that I can't see the chick anymore. Not that it's my problem, but I'm starting to get concerned about her. Now that both of my friends are sleeping or distracted, it's the only thing I'm able to do.

It's pretty easy to find her once I realize that her shitty ex had just walked back into the house. If he's expecting to take her home, he's going to have a problem. That girl is way too stubborn, and probably too drunk now, and I'm already pissed that he's back.

Fortunately, I find her before he does. She's in the backyard, keeping her distance from most everyone else. She's leaning against the house, eyes attached to her phone.