bit of course, the aching first step would be for el to go home. which sounded painful in itself, but he couldn't deny the idea that half of her life was still physically planted there.

though, the real heartbreak came after she went home. what would they do then? he could barley remember how he went throughout life without her, how could he possibly go back to that?

mike already knew the answer.... he simply couldn't. as much as he would like to avoid it, his thoughts were already cultivating and sculpting the perfect solution to all his life's problems within each tab his fingertips clicked away at.

it was telling her his ideas that made him feel not insecure... more selfish than anything.

though, was it really that selfish? if anything he felt like the things his mind had come up with were all for her sake, a selfless act of bring her back to where she should have been her entire life.

a place where she would feel safe.

"still doing some research for the article?" jim hopper's voice resonated in his ears, causing him to instinctively reach up and shut his laptop in front of him without a second thought.

there was a ping of nervousness that stung through his chest, the panic of his moments clearly catching the attention of the older man standing with his mug in the doorway that led into the dining room from the kitchen.

real smooth wheeler.

"uh - yea. for sure. definitely." the raven haired boy ran a hand through his curls, sighing to himself before leaning back in his chair. he could feel his palms getting sweaty, his breath shallowing as his heart tucked itself away behind the corridors of his ribs.

this really wasn't the time to have a full blown panic attack in front of his girlfriend's father... but honestly it seemed like he was on the verge of doing so.

and it seemed especially more appropriate to break down once the older man cleared his throat, sliding into his usual seat at the end of the large dining table, his voice collected as he stated calmly, "you don't want her to leave."

though even with those soft blue eyes watching him carefully, the utter kindness and concern radiating from someone he knows for a fact has been through more than anyone else he's ever interviewed, the shield inside him still slowly and reluctantly began to piece itself together.

"do you want her to leave?" the tone that came out of his mouth sounded a lot harsher than he anticipated, his brows furrowing as his winced to himself slightly.

so many fucking emotions mike.

get it together.

yet, to his ultimate surprise, hopper's caring expression stayed frozen across his features, "i never said that... have you told her you don't want her to leave?"

"i think it's pretty obvious." mike mumbled, trying his best to force a lighthearted chuckle until the gesture folded underneath the small ache in his chest, "yes... i have."

"and what did she say?"

the writer sighed, squinting slightly as he tried his best to not let his vocal chords fail him. he hated talking about anything slightly negative. he hated complaining and he sure as hell hated sounding like he didn't have his shit together especially when it came to his life.

tea stained newpapers. mileven au.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara