"crying over someone who doesn't exist"

Start from the beginning

Rowan nearly jumped out of her seat at the sudden sight of McGill, Larson, and Adam standing in her doorway. "You can't scare me like that or one of these days, I'm going to kill you."

Adam's eyes widened and his cheeks turned a deep shade of pink once noticing that she was wearing one of his sweatshirts. Larson picked up on this and bit his lip to prevent any laughter from escaping.

"Rowan, your bed is so comfy," McGill tried to say -- his words coming out muffled.

"Uh, thanks. I guess."

"Okay, McGill, get up. We're leaving," Adam said as he and Larson picked up the boy. He was back on his feet by the stairs in fear for his life. 

During the crossing of the Pierce's lawn onto the Banks', Larson swung his arm around Rowan's shoulder. "This sleepover is just going to be grand, don't you guys think?"

Adam mentally facepalmed. 

"Yeah sure," Rowan hesitantly agreed, her nose scrunching up.

Once entering the basement, Rowan rushed to the movies and looked through the options. Adam came up behind her and watched over her shoulder as she sorted out which ones to watch. She narrowed it down to The Outsiders or The Breakfast Club. McGill walked over to the two and pointed to the outsiders. "That one," He said, once again muffled from a load of candy stuffed in his mouth.

"I just finished reading the book," Rowan mentioned, her gaze following McGill as he laid on the couch behind her. 

"When..."

"Las-"

"...did I ask?" 

"You're the peak of comedy, aren't you?" She sarcastically shot, her eyes narrowing as he smirked at his joke. She turned back to the tapes. "Is that good with you, Adam?'

"Perfect," he stated, staring down at her.

"Okay, good," She nervously giggled, practically stammering over the two simple words. Her face burned with embarrassment.

There it was again, that smile. The sound of her laughter made his heart explode into a million pieces and float around him like butterflies.

"Are we gonna watch the movie or you two flirt?" Larson asked -- joining McGill -- surrounded by piles of candy, chips, and drinks.

"The movie!" Rowan quickly decided while plopping down next to Larson. Adam joined on the other side of Rowan after putting the tape in.

The first 15 minutes of the movie were consistently interrupted by Larson asking questions. He stopped for a little while -- but started up again once the plot had gotten more intense. "Rowan, why is he doing that?"

No answer.

"No way she already fell asleep," McGill complained, looking over at her closed eyes.

"Yo, I think Banks did too."

They shared mischievous glances before getting up and tiptoeing over to the sink. They filled a bowl up with water and carefully walked back over to their sleeping friends. As the duo counted to three, they poured the cold liquid over the heads of Rowan and Adam, immediately jolting them out of their peaceful slumber.

"Oh, I'm so gonna kill you guys!"

Rowan chased them around the basement, gliding around on the hardwood floor in her fuzzy socks. She eventually cornered them before they slipped around her and attempted to make it back to the couch -- but, were unsuccessful due to Adam Banks, who grabbed and began to tackle them. Rowan ran and jumped on top of the three boys, soaking Larson and McGill with the water that covered them.

"Okay, Okay! We're sorry!" Larson yelled in regret and laughter.

"You two are complete and total dimwit idiots."

"Come on, Rowan. Let's get some dry clothes from upstairs," Adam suggested, grabbing onto her wrist as he pulled her away from attacking the other two for a second time.

He adjusted his grip so he was now holding onto her hand as he led her to his room. Little did either of them know, this was all part of a plan set up by Larson and McGill. They needed some way to get the two alone without it being obvious what they were up to. They had been planning it for weeks, and it was executed perfectly.

"Hey, you liar! You have tons of sweatshirts," Rowan observed as Adam went through his closet, pulling out a dry sweatshirt for her to replace the cold and wet one.

"Well now I have one less," He replied, handing it to her. "I'm gonna go change in the bathroom, wait for me before you go back down. I don't want to find my two best friends murdered down there."

"It looks like you peed yourself," She laughed as he exited the room.

"Very funny."

She quickly pulled off the soaked sweatshirt and put on the new one. It was warm and smelled just like Adam. She waited on his bed until he would come back. He knocked. "Are you decent?"

"Yeah."

The two walked back into the basement, hearing the chatter between the boys go silent as they approached. 

"Hey, Rowan!" McGill said, lightly punching her arm.

She slapped his hand away and walked past them and see Johnny's death scene on the screen. Adam immediately realized and hurried over to turn her back to the T.V. He heard little cries escape as the words "Stay gold, Ponyboy," echoed out of the speakers.

"It's okay," He tried to soothe her by playing with her hair.

"This is so fucking stupid -- to be crying over someone who doesn't even exist!" She laughed, tears still pouring down her cheeks.

"I know it is," Adam said in the same comforting tone as he wiped them away. 

"Here, Let's just turn the movie off and do something else," McGill proposed.

They eventually settled on playing a board game but that was abandoned rather quickly as they began talking. They laughed and joked throughout the night until around 2 am. Getting tired, they put The Breakfast Club in the tape player and watched that as they drifted off to sleep one by one. Larson was the first one out. McGill paid no attention to this and tried to make a joke with him.

"Shut up, McGill. He's sleeping," Rowan whisper shouted.

Adam was the next one to slip into his slumber. Once again, McGill attempted to start a conversation.

"If you don't shut up, I'll come over there and slap you."

"Someone's in a bitchy mood tonight," He mumbled as he rolled over and closed his eyes. Within 5 minutes, he was asleep.

Moments later Rowan felt her eyelids become heavy, closing slowly. They opened again when she felt an arm snake around her waist and pull her close. She looked up to see Adam sleeping next to her as she rested against him. 

"Rowan Willow," He mumbled in a tired voice.

"Yeah, Adam?"

"Is this okay?" He sleepily asked, referring to the proximity they were currently in.

"Mhm," She whispered, admiring his face one last time before closing her eyes to match his. "Always." 

She fell asleep immediately after, feeling warm and safe in his arms -- listening to the pulse of his heartbeat. 

a/n-  Sorry for the terrible filler chapter. ALSO, I KNOW LARSON AND MCGILL ARE ANTAGONISTS IN THE MOVIES. BUT, I ACTUALLY LIKE THEM IN THIS?! I'll make them worse later on for all the Larson and McGill antis.