✿Chapter 18: Somebody that I used to know✿

Start from the beginning

You spotted Pascal running across the floor and dropping a saltlike material in the gel at your father's feet, "(Y/N)!" Your father called to you, throwing you a sword. You caught it by the handle and broke the chains that were keeping you on the ground. You quickly got up and ran over to your dad and Rapunzel.

"Rapunzel!" You and your father said, both of you embracing the girl.

You could hear Varian's cries, making you sad, "No! No! I wasn't wrong!" He looked up at the man encased in amber, "It's not my fault! None of it is. It's her fault."

You all pulled back from the embrace, "Rapunzel, are you okay?" Your father asked.

"Yes, I will be." She said, nodding. She then looked up, her eyes widened, "Varian. Oh. where did he go?"

There was some rumbling before the ground in front of you spit open revealing an automaton, with Varian inside of it, "Sorry, Princess. We were in this together! But if I can't have a happy ending, then neither can you!" The automaton then pounded its fists against the ground, the three of you ran as quick as you could to get away from the boy. You quickly exited the house, seeing all of your friends fighting more automatons outside.

You glance over and see Cassandra running towards the automaton that Varian was in, he grabbed her and held her up to the face of it, "Hello, Cassandra. I always knew I could sweep you off your feet."

"Let her go, Varian!" You called. The automaton then turned around and grabbed you, Rapunzel and your father reached out. The blonde girl chucked her frying pan in the face of the creature.

Everyone turned around to look at the girl, "That's enough, Varian." She said angrily.

"It's not enough until you endure the same amount of pain and agony I have!" He then turned you to face her, "I would say I'm sorry, (Y/N), but Rapunzel is really making me feel like this is worth it." The machine then clenched its hand, slowly crushing you.

You cried out in pain.

"(Y/N)!" Your father called out to you. The automaton then started crushing Cassandra too. Suddenly black rocks sprouted out of the ground, all of them starting to surround Rapunzel. Rapunzel touched the rocks and they began stabbing through the automatons one by one. As soon as she touched them you felt a burst of energy leave your body.

Rapunzel grabbed onto the rocks and they exploded, throwing everyone back. Varian's automaton dropped, its hands opened and you hopped out quickly. You ran over to your father who was already on his way over to you.

You embraced your father in a tight hug before turning and spotting Rapunzel who was still holding onto the rocks. The rocks around her started growing and shrinking. Varian moved the automaton quickly standing up. He ran towards the blonde, whose hair was now floating in the air. She propelled the rocks forward stabbing the other automatons.

She then directed the rocks towards Varian's automation, the rocks ripped its legs and one arm off. Varian reached out towards the girl but she stabbed a rock through his hand and then through the torso of the automaton shutting it down for good.

You heard Varian's muffled cry, "NO!"

Suddenly the rocks started turning, pointing towards the opposite direction. Many sprouted out of the ground and broke a hole in the wall behind Varian's house. Rapunzel let go of the rocks and immediately fell to the ground. You looked over at the wall, seeing the rocks flatten out and lay on the ground, pointing to something.

It didn't take long for the guards to put Varian into custody. You watched as they locked him in a carriage cell. Ruddiger quickly followed him into the cell and lightly stroked his face, "I will make you proud of me, Dad..." He said, before taking a glance up at you. Your face showed no emotion, you were unsure how to feel. Varian's face was full of anger but his eyes showed sadness, "...if it's the last thing I ever do."

Rapunzel glanced over at her father, "Don't be too hard on him, Dad."

"I'll be sure to do everything I can to get him help." He turned around to face the girl, "As for Quirin, I'll not give up until I find a way to free him."

Rapunzel nodded before facing the rocks, "It's like the rocks want us to... follow them." She shrugged.

"I think you're right. At first, I believed the rocks' only purpose was to destroy Corona. I was wrong. I can see now that they're pointing in a direction. Pointing you in a direction. I only regret that it has taken all this to convince me that I should be doing the same." Your father said, "Rapunzel when you were returned to us, I swore I would never let anything ever happen to you again."

Rapunzel looked down, "But, Dad, we talked about this. I don't--"

"I know, I know. You're right." He lightly placed his hand on her cheek, "This past year you showed me that there is so much more in you than I could have ever imagined. I've just been too afraid to let you go." He looked sad, "But this path is yours to follow. And if you ever lose your way..."

You turned around, spotting thousands of lanterns floating in the sky.

Rapunzel embraced your father in a hug, "Thank you, Dad. I love you so much."

"And I love you too, sweetheart." Your father then pulled away from Rapunzel and turned to you, "I assume you want to go with them?" He asked.

You considered it for a moment and then thought back to Varian, he needed someone here for him. Sure he may have just tried to kill you, you could tell that there was still good in him. Or at least, you hoped there was.

You shook your head, "Actually, Dad. There are still some things here that I have to deal with."

He nodded, looking slightly relieved.

You then stepped over to Rapunzel, "Find your destiny, Rapunzel." You said, embracing her in a hug. After letting her go, Rapunzel stepped back to Eugene.

"I'll take care of her, Your Majesty." He said to your father.

Your father smiled, "Eugene, you should know by now, Rapunzel doesn't need anyone to take care of her."

You laughed, that was too true.

"Touché." The man chuckled.

Cassandra, Eugene, and Rapunzel all started walking in the direction that the rocks were leading followed by Max and a few others.

✿✿✿

You sat on your balcony, overlooking all of Corona. Maybe you should have gone with them? No, you could leave anytime, your father had finally allowed you to leave. But you wanted to stay, you needed to stay for Varian's sake. Hopefully, he could get therapy, and maybe you could talk to him every once in a while. It would take some time but maybe he would realize that this wasn't Rapunzel's fault. Your father told you that you could help with the saving of Varian's father. Since you had spent so much time with Varian you were familiar with the chemicals he uses. So you could be a great use in creating a concoction to help.

First, they were going to put Varian in his own cell, and then when he calmed down a little they were going to transfer him over to a cell with another person. You were unsure about the logic behind this but you trusted your father.

He now allowed you "free will". You were able to go places, visit Varian whenever you wanted, even leave the walls of Corona if you wanted to. This would help you be able to find ingredients for the concoctions that you would make. You knew Xavier had a vast knowledge of potions and magic because of the whole mood potion incident, so maybe he could give you something that would help. Or maybe he had a book that could give you information.

You let out a breath, suddenly realizing how tired you actually were. You had stayed up all night since Varian had kidnapped you. What you needed now was sleep. Things would be much easier to think about once you were well-rested. You looked down at the sleep gown that you had already been wearing, it was now dirty. Thank goodness you had a spare in your closet.

You got changed into your other sleep gown and threw the old one in the laundry. You then climbed in bed and got under the covers, before drifting off to sleep.

✿✿✿