ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ: ᴅᴀᴛᴇ ᴏʀ ꜰᴜɴᴇʀᴀʟ

Start from the beginning

I then went to do the same, looking at the scene in a laid-back manner to compare with his suspecting peer. Moving along the crowd, the faun awkwardly smiled at numerous passersby, nodding at them respectfully but with some shuffles.

When his eyes glossed slightly the moment someone halted him to speak, sweat dripped from his temples, uneasiness making him flush a little red. His outfit was slightly crumpled, hair in little ruffles that formed into a mess by the end. The way he walked was in haste. Relief clouded his features when he arrived by the flower stall, his obvious first stop before proceeding to his destination. I decided that this time, I need not use my abilities. Because I just had to blink at him a couple times before ending in my own conclusion.

“Times up.” Edmund continued his watchful gaze for a few seconds. Taking some more mental notes before finally facing me. I signalled him to speak up first, wanting to know what he had observed.

Determination was lit in his eyes, his sureness going to play by the clear of his throat. “He's going on a date,”

A small smile made its way to my face, raising an amused eyebrow. “Go on.”

“By his actions, he seems to already be late, especially when he quickly finished his conversation with someone earlier. What I noticed in his clothing is that he didn't have enough time to make himself very presentable, obviously because he woke up late to start his day evenly. And do I even need to speak of the flower situation?” Certainty was adorably wrinkling the ends of his eyes, his lips smiling proudly.

I patted his shoulder which broadened his grin. “That was fairly good for your first try. The only problem is that you used inductive reasoning, which isn't a bad thing by the way, and ended it with a huge dot. You generalized it for a romantic event due to the flowers but failed to mention one key evidence to prove that it isn't.”

“No way it's wrong! It's the only obvious reasoning I can see.” Edmund frowned heavily after that, confusion flooding his senses. I gazed back at the faun, seeing him go away to a path we couldn't see from here.

“Think about how he carried that small conversation with someone, what can you say about that?”

Without thinking about it deeply, he delivered his general assumption of the matter. “He's naturally shy and gets scared of interaction.”

Small chuckles escaped my lips, making his frown deepen in disappointment. To see the kind of flower he bought was already a dead giveaway but it wasn't that which made me puzzle my own impression.

“It is ethical that you developed an immediate theory that could be correct, but to deduct something works when you experiment on that theory to come up with another,” Turning around from the balcony, I went to walk back inside the castle with the boy right beside me. “Assuming that he was in a hurry could be correct but upon seeing how he was visibly anxious, you can see the true situation.”

“It's unfair! You have abiliti—”

“I didn't use my magic to know what it really is. To establish my own hypothesis, I had to stare at his facial features to see the mask he has put up,” I immediately interrupted his suspicion, shutting off the idea of cheating. Curiosity still settled in his face, forehead creased in wonder. “You see how he tried to smile at the others? Most introverts would be too shy to even spare them a glance and maintain eye contact.”

“So he wasn't just a shy faun then?” His ears was sharply just listening to me, keeping mental notes of how I explained everything. Though there was a small blush of embarrassment creeping to his cheeks, I just decided to ignore it.

Shaking my head at his inquiry, I then went to say all of my specific conclusions as how deducting works. “He's the type who has a lot of connections, he nodded at them as an act of recognition. The fact that his eyes watered while encountering someone gave me a hint that it was never a date. No, it sent me the reason of why he was in a hurry. His steps were quick because he wanted to avoid people in seeing him break down as he wanted to show how he was strong enough to face where he originally planned to,”