"well, what can i say?" wilbur leaned backwards, hands resting either side of him, "maybe i'm just a cliché guy now." he smugly shrugged his shoulders before chuckling.

hope huffed out a soft laugh before facing forwards again, noticing the moonlight reflect on the sea and she listened to the waves cascading onto the shore. she was in awe of it, not even the breeze blowing by could distract her from how serene everything was around her in this very moment with the perfect person to be sat beside.

"so," she said quietly, "what's made you drag me out at this time?"

"well," he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose as they began to fall, "i just wanted to talk, you know? about things."

"yeah, i get you." hope sighed and slowly turned to look at him, resting her cheek on her knees as she gazed at his silhouette in the darkness, "i guess we do need to talk." taking a deep breath in, she anxiously picked at the nail polish on her nails, waiting for what he had to say next.

"i just want to know where we go from here, what happens now?"

"i don't know, wilbur."

shaking his head, he looked down at the ground and muttered, "i don't either."

"but i meant what i said, genuinely." hope slowly turned to look at him, "i sat exactly like this with jack when he came down, drinking vodka and chatting. i told him that maybe in a way, i did like you more than a friend, but i just pushed it to the back of my mind."

wilbur cocked his head, "did you really?"

"mhm," she nodded, "i think i convinced myself that we were just friends and i shouldn't like you, when in reality i do and i'm just hiding from it."

"i guess we became friends because it never seemed beyond that when we first met, but when i came up to you, i was interested. i'm just a bit too awkward to express that." he laughed awkwardly.

"and when you approached me, i was very much interested. i would've happily sat on my own if i wasn't, but you just said it yourself, it didn't feel like anything more than a friendship." she exhaled.

wilbur adjusted his beanie as a long sigh fell from his lips, shuffling around to sit in a similar position as hope, "i think i've only come to terms with these feelings recently, but i think that they have always been there deep down. i definitely noticed it when george and dream were messaging you a lot, they seemed to flirt with you or whatever, i don't know, i just didn't -"

"shush," hope chuckled, "as i told you, no faceless, green block guy could take me away from you, ever. clay's lovely, but to me it's nothing like that. and as for george, we don't click at all like you and i do, it's awkward and nothing of the sorts, but he's an amazing friend. you had nothing to be jealous of, i promise."

"i know, i guess i just didn't like to see or hear it, but hearing that you feel the same way as i do puts all of that at ease. i just couldn't hide it anymore, i had to tell you how i felt, i was slowly going insane and -"

"wilbur," hope cut off his waffling with a deep breath and leant over and placing her hands over his, "will."

"hmm?"

"just be quiet and kiss me." her breathing fell heavy, watching wilbur scramble to cup her face in his hands and press his lips against hers and she wrapped both arms around his neck. the kiss was soft, passionate, full of love and affection, hearts beating rapidly. pulling away, wilbur pressed a delicate kiss against her forehead and pressed their foreheads together.

"let me take you out, on a proper date." he whispered, rubbing his thumbs along her cheeks. hope simply bit her lip and nodded, her face lit up as soon as he suggested it and their lips met again. it was sweet, but they moved naturally, as though they perfectly fit together, "this won't ruin anything, will it?" he questioned against her lips as he pulled away, the loss of contact sent a shiver through hope's body. 

"what do you mean?" she cocked her head, arms still linked around his neck.

"just worried about ruining our friendship."

hope simply shook her head, fingertips combing through the back of his hair, "i don't think it will."

"okay." he inhaled deeply. although it was dark, they found themselves lost in one another's eyes, staring at one another longingly.

"come on," she sighed, "you look like you've not been sleeping."

"i haven't." he laughed softly, "been a bit anxious about this whole situation, but it's all good now." standing up from the pebbles, he reached a hand out to hope and pulled her up from the ground.

clambering their way back up to the path, hope's arm brushed against wilbur's and she gazed up at him, part of her wanting some form of affection from him. still facing forwards, wilbur took the hint and softly grazed his fingertips over her hand, to which she took his hand in her own and intertwined their fingers together, resting her head into his arm.

the pair stood outside of hope's house, simply staring at one another, "please get some sleep tonight." she hummed.

"don't worry," wilbur removed his arm that awkwardly rested on the back of his neck and placed a finger tip under hope's chin, "i will." he smiled softly.

a sigh of relief fell from her lips before she smiled in content, "good."

his finger lifted her chin up slightly more, tilting her head up meet to his as he leant down. she got up on her tip toes, their lips meeting with a delicate peck, "goodnight, hope."

"goodnight, wilbur."

a/n
i never intended on this story to be very long, but more of just a short, wholesome love story so it will be ending in a few parts :(( - which kinda makes me sad