Magneto: Almost

Erik decides it's better not to say anything about his mutation. That you'll just be a fling and leave in a few weeks. He doesn't want to risk losing more. It's been months since that and he almost considers starting an actual life with you in it; in a more concrete way that occasional dates and dinners that he plays away with his busy job and your chaotic schedule. He almost says it when you ask his opinion on mutants but he gives a half answer; and avoidance and he thinks maybe that's when you became distant.

"You do know I said I would never use my job on you; being a therapist; but we do need to communicate what we want in this relationship; whatever it will be." You smile fingers running over his arm.
"Talk to me Erik?" Erik can feel the confession bubbling in his throat but he swallows it.
"I; I hate my job." He spits out instead and you chuckle a little.
"Then start looking for a new one?" You offer no comment on whatever it is that he actually does in his government job that you don't question.
"That would mean moving.."
"I could come with you; if you want?" He shrugs a little and you nod slightly.

"Where are you thinking?"
"Not sure yet."
"Well as it works out I'm looking into another job; being a full time therapist is getting exhausting."
"Of course; I do have a meeting tomorrow but we could talk about it after that?" You grin kissing him goodbye before you get to leave.
"Could you stay?" He questions and you sit next to him on the couch.
"Of course; feeling affectionate then?" You smile and he nods; you don't notice the way the picture framing the two of you seems to rattle and turn of its own accord.

"I think it would be better.." He hesitates slightly, his hand brushing your cheek.
"If we no longer met up." You swallow nodding as he watches your face contort slightly. He tilts his head and you grin shaking yours.
"I was just thinking if I had powers maybe you wouldn't have said that; but it's rude of me."
"It's a little cruel; I do want to be with you; it's just easier; safer I mean; safer for us not to be like this."
"I understand; I'm sorry about everything then."

"No I don't regret; I just.." He slumps in the chair slightly and you grin at him.
"Teasing Erik; just teasing." Mystique changes from your form into her preferred disguise.
"That was horrible wasn't it; sorry for making you do this."
"Well It has to be done right?" He nods and Mystique's hand curls around his shoulder before she half hugs him.
"You'll both heal." She assures him and he nods dreading the dinner he'd planned.

"You had something to tell me?" Erik looks a little surprised and you grin slightly sad.
"Yeah: it's good; sort of..."
"Sort of?" He frowns and you bite your lip.
"Yeah I got a job offer in New York; as a teacher."
"That's great!" You can see how relieved he is and you sigh.
'Now your turn." You smile at him and you can see the conflict in his eyes.
"I can't go to; New York; I got a; promotion." He's fumbling with his words and you let the lie slide.
"What's the saddest word in the english language?" He sputters after your question; you can tell it's the truth when he answers his hand drifting to your cheek.

"Almost" He holds your hand throughout the rest of the dinner and he asks when you're leaving; you explain you have another two days before you're flying out and he spends both of them tangled with you and apologizing. You don't ask what he's apologizing for just reassuring him that he has nothing to be sorry for.
He doesn't see you off at the airport but he does make sure to upgrade you to first class from the regular ticket you'd bought yourself.

"Pleasure to meet you Y/N; we're looking forward to having you teach at our school; you left a fairly well paying job as a therapist; what made you consider our offer."
"I wanted to help more people Professor; surely you can understand that.."
"Please just Charles, and I can; but you left a life behind."
"I almost did." You chuckle dryly and follow him into the school.

" So you can feel people's emotions? I see why you became a therapist.." You look up from your desk surprised to see Charles entering the room.
"I can make them feel what I want; for example.." You sigh and watch as Charles' eyes become damp and then he starts sobbing. You let it go for a few moment's his body shaking with sobs before they seem to vanish instantly.
"You seem to have very good control." He wipes at his eyes and you nod.
"I've had a few slip ups; with different emotions; some are harder than others."
"May I?" He reaches his hand forward and you nod curious to what he'll think of your recent goodbye.

"Almost." Erik responds, his hand closing around yours as the dinner continues. You're debating telling him of your gift; about how you'd always seemed to know what he was thinking because you knew how he was feeling.
"Why?" Is what comes out instead of a confession and you can feel a sadness that he had pushed back over and over.
"I almost saved my family; I almost told you the truth; I almost had a life with you; I almost went with my parents.." He chokes, mumbling half of them in an attempt for you not to hear. You allow him the silence and run your hand up his arm before stepping from your chair and pulling him into a hug trying to push as much happiness and hope as you can.

"Almost means things get to continue; even if it's not the path you want; you still have one." He nods and you can feel Charles pulling back.
"You knew; and you didn't say anything?"
"He didn't say anything; I didn't want him to think I was trying to force him to stay with me."
"So you just let him let you leave! You didn't want anything with him?"
"Of course I did but I wasn't going to force him to let me into his life if he didn't want it. He deserves better."
"And you don't deserve better?"
"Almost." You freeze when you hear his voice; even Charles looking shocked as Erik stands nervously in the doorway.