Katniss and Gale: The first meet.

I wasn't always the one being hunted. I used to be a hunter...I don't understand.

Last night, I slept intending to wake up late and spend the day roaming at the Hob, District 12's black market. We are stocked with a lot of goose meat which would last for the next couple of days. I could also have sold some of it.

But, no. Here I am, at my workplace-the Woods. Being chased by somebody.

The figure chasing me is a tall guy wearing all black clothes. His face is covered by a black mask. He has a bow and arrow in his hand.

I take lead and run over to one of the trees and climb it. The Guy comes over and starts to look for me. I stay hidden behind the branches, trying not to move.

"Hey! I just need to talk, alright?" he shouts, looking for me.

I try not to make a sound while loading my arrow. I aim for the Guy and shoot the arrow.

It hits his calf and he falls to the ground, groaning.

I get down from the branch and I take his weapons. Apart from his bow and arrow, he also has a knife tied to his belt. I take it out and put it on his throat.

"Who are you?" I ask.

I was afraid he was a Peacekeeper in disguise or perhaps some other official. But, no. He looks familiar. I've seen him before. Perhaps at the Hob. He has olive skin, dark hair, and the same gray eyes as mine, and like all the people who live in the Seam.

"I'm Gale. I'm sorry, I just wanted to-"

"You live in the Seam?" I asked.

He nodded, wincing.

"You won't rat on me for hunting in the forest. Clear?" I ask him.

"Of course, I want to start hunting here from now on, too. So, won't rat unless you do."

"Alright, then I should be the one saying sorry. My mother is a Healer, she'll help you with the wound. I see you're used to hunting with arrows?" I ask handing his weapons back to him.

"Yeah. Not used to them being shot to my calf, though," he mutters.

"I'm said I'm sorry. Just wait for some time. Let me get that bird first," I said, spotting one, sitting in one of the branches of the trees a few feet ahead of us.

"I'm bleeding to death here!" he snapped.

"Never leave the forest without a prey is a rule I have and it's the only one I follow so-"

"Just hurry up."

I aim for the bird. Shoot it. Easy job. It falls to the ground and I collect it. I keep it in my bag. Also, retrieve the used arrow.

"Woah! Smooth kill, huh? You gotta teach me some of that," he says, clearly impressed.

"Let's go," I say to Gale and help him up.

We walk over to the edge of the Woods and make it out of the fence, carefully since Gale's limping.

Just five more minutes of walking and limping and we reach my house where Buttercup is sitting at the door.

Buttercup is my sister's stupid cat. I hate it because a) It is very hideous-looking and b) I have to feed one more stomach. It's a mutual feeling of extreme hate between the cat and me (I might've tried drowning the cat once or twice). I shoo the cat as soon as I see it and it goes away, making a face at me. If cats could make one, anyway.

"Nice place," notes Gale.

"Who are you kidding?" I ask, amused.

"What? It's really good."