Karna's new Friend

Start from the beginning

Bheesm (with regret),'Mata please forgive me. I am so sorry that I did not come early. But I am happy to see you fine.'

Devi Ganga, 'Thanks to my son Karna that I am alright. If he was not here, then I will not be able to withstand the effect of the weapon. He healed me. But instead of praising him, you wanted to punish him? What's wrong with you Bheesm. Is that what I taught you?'

Bheesm '(shocked), 'Karna saved you? I mean I know he stopped the weapon but how did he heal you?'

Devi Ganga, 'Why don't you ask him by yourself? BTW I am highly disappointed in you. I took you to swargalok and gave you the best education. And you are using those training to serve those adharmis.  Shame on you.'

Bheesm, 'But Mata it is my Dharam to serve my king.'

Devi Ganga (irritated), 'No your Dharam is to serve humanity. Now go, I have other works to do.'

Bheesm felt sad as his mother was very disappointed in him. So he left thinking about his mother's words.

Next day

The next day Duryodhana went to Karna's village. He took some of his soldiers and things that would be helpful to restore the damaged houses. On reaching there he saw Karna and some young men were helping the villagers to repair their houses. Duryodhana came there and everyone was shocked to see the Kuru Prince himself.

Duryodhana,'I am very sorry for everything. I brought aids to repair the village.' Everyone was happy hearing this and Duryodhana ordered all the soldiers to start the work. Then to went to meet Karna.

Karna, 'Panaam Rajkumar. It is so kind of you that you yourself bring aids for us.'

Duryodhana, 'No Karna, it is my duty to help my people. BTW you are a great warrior, I really like your style. You are very talented.'

Karna, 'Thank you Rajkumar, but it is my parents and my Gurus's blessings that make me what I am.'

Duryodhana,'   If you don't mind me asking you, how are you so good in archery, I mean in HP Sutas are not allowed to learn it, so how come you be able to meet Lord Parshuram and Guru Brihaspati and got your training? And what is that armor that appeared magically on your body?'

Karna, 'Actually once rishi VedVyas came to our village and he took me to his Ashram. There I meet Guru Brihaspati and he gave me the location of Guru Parshuram. And the Kavach, I have it since birth. It is a blessing from the Gods.'

Duryodhana, 'Wow, you must be very talented that is why they gave you training. And I wish I have a kavach like yours.'

Then for some time both of them chatted. Karna realized, though Duryodhana was an egoistic and short-tempered person but he was not a bad soul. On the other hand, Duryodhana found Karna's proximity very soothing. Karna was a very witty and intelligent person but what attracted Duryodhana most was Karna's fearless attitude. He was not afraid to say what was right. Duryodhana as a prince was always surrounded by people who wanted to please him or wanted something from him. But Karna was selfless and honest. 

Before leaving Duryodhana asked Karna, 'Look, I want to ask something from you,I don't have any friends and I want to make a friendship with you.'

Karna (surprised), 'Rajkumar, you want to make me your friend? But you are the Prince and you must have many friends around you? Why do you need me?'

Duryodhana, 'I don't have a single true friend, all of them are sycophants. I am tired of having people around me who always agree with me about anything and never give me true opinions. But you....you are an honest person. And your social status never bothers me as I believe in people's talent. So do you want to be my Mitra?'

Karna, 'Okay Mitra...but one condition. I never support adharma and as your friend, I will always stop you to do such an act. The day you choose the path of sin, you will lose me. Are you okay with that?

  Duryodhana (smiling), 'Friends then?

Karna, 'Friend'

Duryodhana, 'So tomorrow I am inviting you to the palace. Please come early, I want to have breakfast with you.'

Karna, 'I will be there,'

After saying goodbye to Duryodhana Karna started thinking, 'I wanted to have an opportunity to stay near my birth mother and brothers. But my own brothers did not even talk to me properly except Yudhishthir. But Duryodhana make me his friend and invited me to the palace. Hm...this is a perfect opportunity to understand my family. Lord Mahadev told me that some problems are coming for my mother and brothers. Now I need to find what danger is coming.'

Krishna (in mind),' Karna, today you befriended the man who is going to be the problem for your family. If you can change Duryodhana that will be best for everyone but if you fail then you have to choose between your friend and family.'

Rukmini, 'But Prabhu, why did you allow Karna to befriend Duryodhana. Duryodhana is an adharmi who is trying to ruin Pandavas.'

Krishna, 'Devi no one is perfect here. Even Pandavas are blinded by their ego and pride. In spite of knowing Dharma, they insulted people based on their caste, while Duryodhana though did many wrong things but at least he respects others' talents. Both Pandavas and Kauravas will have a chance to redeem themselves. Karna will try to change Duryodhana while I will try to teach Pandavas. Let's see who will be able to change themselves.'

In Hastinapur palace

Dusshashan, 'What.. you invited that sutputra for breakfast. Come on brother, you don't need to do that. Why don't you give him money or offer him a position in the army? That will be enough to attract him.'

Duryodhana (irritated), 'Dusshshan, please don't use your brain as you have none. Let me handle him.'

Shakuni, 'Bhanje you did the right thing. A selfless man like Karna will never fall for money but they give immense value to friendship. If you behave properly then he will always help you. But you have to do your acting properly in front of him. You have to show him that you like him.'

Duryodhana (aloud), 'Yes mamashri.' (in mind) No mamashri it is not acting. I really want to be friends with him. I don't know why I started to like him. He is not like another person I met so far.' 

Krishna (smiling), 'Duryodhana this is the best decision you made so far.'

Next episode- Bheem insulted Karna'a parents.