XVIII. BLACK BROTHERS

Start from the beginning

"Reg.." Jasmine's voice was small compared to the other two's. Regulus shook his head at her and walked out of the Kitchens.

"Are you happy, Sirius?" Jasmine muttered, nudging his shoulder as she followed Regulus to calm him down.

WEEKS PASSED SINCE THE fight and Jasmine didn't talk to Sirius at all. She expected him to run back to James and tell him everything, but surprisingly, he didn't.

She waited for the moment that James would run up to her and scream about why Regulus is no good for her, but the moment never came.

Instead, James would be his usual self, slinging his arm around Jasmine, leaving sweet packages by her bed everyday and being the good brother he is.

"Jasmine! Good morning!" he bellowed, entering the common room. Jasmine folded her note that Regulus sent to her and hugged James.

"Morning, James," she said. "Why are you in a good mood?"

He shrugged, "The weather's nice and it's just a good day."

Jasmine laughed as he took her hand and walked out of the common rooms, Remus and Peter waiting for them outside.

"Where's Pads?" James asked Remus.

"Dunno," Remus replied nonchalantly. "Haven't seen him 'round recently."

"Neither," Peter chimed in.

Jasmine felt a pang of guilt; was he avoiding all of them just because of their argument?

The four of them walked to the Great Hall, the boys chatting away, while Jasmine worried about Sirius.

"Did you hear what happened to Cas' mate?" Peter asked. Jasmine's eyes darted to him.

"Who?" she said quickly.

"The Caspian guy," Remus said. "Me and Pete saw him in the Hospital Wing. Apparently he's been there for weeks, now. Got beat up."

"But he won't say who by," Peter scoffed.

"Ah."

"Got what he deserved, didn't he?" James said. "He was the one spreading rumours about you, Jas."

Remus smiled, "James, quit being an overprotective older brother."

"We're twins?" Jasmine said, raising her eyebrows. "And we're both over-age now."

"You know, I'm twelve minutes older than you," James said, leaning his head sideways in a cocky manner.

"Twelve minutes," she scoffed. "Just — should we go get breakfast before our lessons start?"

When they all agreed, she felt relieved that they changed the subject. She didn't want them to know that it was Regulus who did that to Caspian.

Sitting in the Great Hall, waiting for them, was Sirius. He didn't notice them when they entered; his head was in his hands and his hair covered his face.

"There he is," James said, sitting next to Sirius. "You alright, mate?"

Sirius looked up, "I'm fine."