Chapter 34 - Stories

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

I woke up before the morning bell, but I didn't turn to face the sunrise. I kept my forehead against Jack's chest, closing my eyes again in hopes of getting some more sleep. I began to shiver a bit as the wind picked up, scooting in even closer against Jack. Eventually, I felt him start to play with my hair, making me smile.

"Morning," I said, unmoving.

"Morning, how're you?" He said, his voice raspy.

"Better. My leg doesn't hurt as bad," I continued to stay still, not wanting Jack to stop running his fingers through my hair. 

"I'm glad," he said, sighing. "I guess we should get up," he sat up, rubbing his eyes and stretching. He got off the floor and grabbed clothes for me, setting them beside me with a smile. We both began to change, staying quiet as we did.

We were still silent as we walked to the Square, but I felt Jack looking at me every now and then. Finally, I looked back, smiling.

"What're you lookin' at?" I asked, noticing he was blushing a bit.

"Nothin', just looking at you," he smiled back at me, his hands in his pockets.

"Do I got something on my face?" I joked, and he laughed a bit.

"No, no. I just like lookin' at you, that's all." I felt my face get hot, looking away from him as I began to smile bigger.

"Hey!" We heard Race call from behind as he ran to catch up with us. Romeo and Specs were with him this time, looking exhausted.

"Tired, guys?" Jack asked, as he noticed the looks on their faces, too.

"We were up late playing a game." Romeo said, rubbing his eyes. "Speakin' of which, want to play some poker tonight?" 

"Sure, sounds great. What about you, Crutchie?" Jack asked, looking at me. I nodded, smiling. "Alright. I'll bring the chips I found."

I finished selling at my usual time and I was now waiting for Jack at our halfway spot. He showed up eventually, a smile on his face.

"Hey! Ready to get your ass kicked at poker?" He joked, waiting for me to stand up.

"You wish," I smiled back at him, beginning to walk beside him. 

We got to the lodging house fine, both looking forward to playing. Race and Romeo were teasing one another as Jack and I laughed at them, when there was a knock at the door.

"Yeah?" Jack said, turning around in his seat. The person didn't respond, but they opened the door slowly, not revealing who they were. 

"I need to talk to Crutchie outside," the voice said, and Jack and I looked at one another.

"Uh, I'll be back I guess," I said to them, standing up and grabbing my crutch.

"Who is it?" Jack asked me, looking worried.

"No idea. I'll be back in a few minutes though, don't worry." I said, smiling at him. 

I went out into the hallway, heading to the nearest door and going outside. It was dark out now, and I couldn't see if whoever had called for me was even out here. I squinted a bit, but it didn't help.

"Hello?" I said, and footsteps started nearing me. "Who are you?" I asked, but they didn't respond. They kept coming toward me, but I still couldn't see their face. It was only once the figure was mere feet away from me that I could see that it was Tommy, and my heart began pounding. "What the fuck are you doing here?" I said, backing up.