(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟑) basilisk

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean something odd?" Snape asked,

"Well Mrs Norris was found next to a flooded corridor, Collin with his camera over his face, Justin next to Sir Nicholas, Alicia next to the mirror of erised, Hermione and Penelope holding a mirror"

"And this connection has significance?" Flitwick asked,

"I think so" Athena continued, "I think that the monster is a Basilisk"

"Exactly what I thought!" Lockhart exclaimed,

"Baailisk's can kill with a simple glance, however none of the victims looked the creature directly in the eyes"

"The cry of a rooster is fatal to them" Aurora looked up in sudden realisation,

"Hagrid's roosters were killed" Athena finished.

It seemed that she'd convinced all of the professors, they were looking around at each other and nodding. Athena felt a surge of relief as her argument didn't stretch further than what she had already said.

"What can we do with this information?" Snape asked in a drawling tone, "knowing that the monster is a Basilisk doesn't help us, if we see it it's not as though we'll be able to say anything"

"No but it brings us a step closer" McGonagall added in a more positive tone,

"Unless we can find some roosters there's not much good" Trelawney added rather dauntingly.

"It's something" Flitwick argued, "it's the only information we've had yet about this attacker"

"Someone who can command a snake" Snape continued with raised eyebrows, "a parseltongue perhaps... I don't know if everyone is aware but—"

"Oh don't be ridiculous Severus" Athena snapped,

"What's he suggesting?" Aurora asked,

"That Harry is commanding the monster"

"You're right, that is ridiculous" McGonagall glared at Snape, "Potter is a twelve year old boy"

"I seem to remember that Hagrid wasn't much older"

"I doubt it ever was Hagrid" Athena muttered, "as I recall, the monster they caught him with wasn't a Basilisk but an acromantula"

"That is correct yes" Flitwick nodded,

"Dumbledore trusted Hagrid and therefore, so do I" McGonagall retorted.

Snape fell quiet yet there was still an odd glance over his face.

"Is this enough though?" Sprout asked, "does this really give us enough hope that we don't have to close the school?"

"For now" McGonagall stood up importantly, "we look closer into this creature and hope to find some more information that can help us bring an end to this terrible time"

"Without Dumbledore, won't things just get worse?" Aurora asked lightly, "he's a strong source in this school... most people fear him"

"I'm not sure a Basilisk would fear him" Trelawney murmured.

"No but maybe the one controlling it may be less careful knowing he's not here" Snape added,

"That'll be their downfall" Athena jumped in, "now that we all know what we're looking out for, I'm sure it won't be long until this ordeal is over"

"For now we keep the school open" McGonagall agreed, "stick to the rules Dumbledore created and we hope to avoid any more attacks however if there is another attack then we will have no choice, do you all understand?"