6 | A Soulmate Who Wasn't Meant To Be

Start from the beginning

"We're going to Paddington today, right?" I asked, taking another bite of the apple.

"Right. Yes, um. I just wanted to talk to you about something first."

That doesn't sound good. That's what she said when she was leaving us for Chris and Raina.

God, I just feel so stupid. Things were going kind of alright and it was starting to feel almost normal. She wants me to leave, doesn't she? So she can get her perfect family.

"Okay," I gulped, choking back the nerves in my body. "what's up?" she motioned me to sit down next to her as I shuffled over to the couch.

"Chris and I have been talking."

They want me to leave. I knew that the niceness Chris had towards me was fake. It was all fake. Everything was fake. My mom pretending like she wants me back in her life, Chris considering that I could be a good, I don't know, step daughter? She just wanted these two weeks so she doesn't feel guilty for not being in my life. She wanted these two weeks, so she could go another four years without me.

"Um, about what?" I questioned. The room started to feel colder as I began to succumb to my bone-chilling nerves.

"We love having you here," right. That's how it always starts. She tries to butter me up so she doesn't sound like the bad guy. It's not like I particularly want to be here, sure it would be nice to have my mom around me, but does she want to be around me? Right now, she has the perfect life with her amazing husband and her cute daughter. She doesn't want me. No one wants me— I don't even want me.

"and I talked to your father," she talked to dad. The first talk in years between them is about how much she doesn't want me. Nice. "and I want you to come stay with us."

What?

I didn't respond for a while, which she probably took as a sign to keep going. "Just at least for your last year of high school. There are amazing schools here, you get to see Raina more often—"

"You guys want me to live with you?" I thought that this was a once a while trip. Like once every two months or something. I didn't think I would live with them. This wasn't her wanting to see me, she wanted me to stay. She wants me to leave everything behind for the person that didn't even want to have any contact with me for the past four years.

Dad was okay with this? He was just okay with me leaving him all alone?

"We think that it will be great for you to live here. Your father and you have been struggling to live in California. He told me about the bills that you pay and the food that you have to buy. You are working multiple jobs while trying to apply for colleges. That's not healthy—"

"Mom, it's because you left us!" I felt all of the rage that I kept in the past few years finally spew out of me. Her listing all of the reasons why we don't have a good home is because of her. Because dad could barely do anything when he found that mom doesn't love her anymore, he could barely do anything when he found that he had to start raising me all on his own.

"Violet, that's not fair—"

"What's not fair, mom? You leaving us for another family, you moving to the farthest place imaginable? You didn't talk to me for years! And now you want me to move in with you? I thought my own mother hated me." she got up from the couch, eye level with me now. Tears began to leak from my eyes as I felt my hot cheeks grow wet.

"Honey—"

"You made me feel worthless. No one should ever feel how you made me feel. I'm not going to just let you waltz into my life, like nothing ever happened!" my arms sporadically waved around, not even trying to contain my anger anymore.