II

Meika Izumi. Emilé Sena.

Those were the names of Gin's closest friends, having known them all throughout her childhood. They had all grown up together, occasionally visiting each other's houses, sleep covers, play dates, whatever kids did. Throughout the years, Gin's parents had slowly started working their way towards their dream of owning a boutique one day.

It was until her second year of middle school that her parents told her they would have to move to a town called Mitakihara. That's where they had finally been able to open their boutique after years and years of planning.

Gin had told her dearest friends that she would be moving at the start of summer break, so she wanted to cherish the last few days that they could all spend together.

Meika and Emilé had been happy to make plans, albeit their eyes held a pain that Gin didn't realize at the time. Alongside the pain was a pinch of relief that Gin also wouldn't know of until it was too late.

"I promise to text and call everyday! You guys also need to promise!"

"You and your promises, always like this..."

"You know you actually like making promises with us, Meika. Soooooooooooo childish, you need to grow up soon like me and Gin."

"Sh-shut up! You're being embarrassing! Stop laughing! Giiiiiiiiin, don't laugh too! Come on!"

"Your face is really red right now, Meika."

"Annnnnnnnnd that photo's staying as my lock screen!"

"Emilé! Gin!"

Ideally, that was supposed to be one of their last conversations. Gin's imagination had always been rampant, and she always loved her friends. She couldn't have helped to smile to herself upon thinking about the last time she'd see her childhood friends...

Yet, that's how it should have gone.

Gin's eyes slowly fluttered open. She felt a sharp pain in both her stomach and shoulder. Her socks were wet and she felt as if she were covered in slime. It didn't help that she was incredibly dizzy and nauseous, her vision somewhat blurry as she tried to gather her surroundings.

"...n! ....in! ...ake up! Gin, wake up!" The ringing in her ears faded and she could finally make out the face of Emilé hovering over her own. A brief moment of relief washed over Emilé's face and she tried her best to smile, but Gin could tell something was wrong.

Gin suddenly felt as if she were being shaken violently back and forth as she watched Emilé try to keep her balance herself. A wave of water washed over the two girls, leaving the already vulnerable Gin to start choking and coughing.

"Gin! Please stay awake!"

"Huh..? Emilé, where are w- Agh!" Gin had tried sitting up, the sharp pain in her stomach only got sharper and she could feel herself getting more feverish despite the cold water.

"I- Gin. Please don't look at your stomach, I'm trying to heal you as best as I can! Then, I'll get you out of here! Meika's fighting the thing that trapped you here... She's buying us some time, but..." Gin could clearly see the fear on Emilé's face.

Ah... So I'm injured somehow... But she looks so scared... Meika must be too...

Gin reached out a pale arm, caressing Emilé's cheek. It was amazing how pale she had gotten... Blood loss?

"You're both trying your best... I don't know where we are, what's going on, or however you got into that outfit... But I believe in you both. You're my best friends, I trust you, Emilé."