3 - The Bunny

-------------------------------------------------------
~Merlin~
-------------------------------------------------------

As I browse my bookshelf for a book of love spells I think about what happened earlier. What is with Onyx? He's never acted like that before. I mean, I have caught him freezing up like that a few times but never that bad. Usually, it's just for a second or two and then he shakes it off.

We know nearly nothing about him too. Sure, we know he's probably the nicest and bravest and most graceful man we've ever met. And we know he's from Albedon, my neighbouring kingdom. And we know he savours every bit of food he receives, wasting nothing, even going as far as eating whatever we leave on our plates. His appreciation for food baffles me. It's like he was starved most of his life the way he eats. We also know that he is an insanely good fighter. His stealth and attack skills are incredible.

What we don't know is where he learned those skills. Or why he wears the mask all the time. I have suspicions that he is not what he seems to be. He feels like an open book but he deflects questions about his childhood or parents or education. Sometimes he'll just start coughing uncontrollably in the middle of a sentence.

But despite all I don't know about him, he is easily the best friend I've had since.... since Y/n. It's weird how close Onyx and I are; how similar our relationship is to what I had with Y/n. Sometimes, when it's just the two of us cloud gazing or hanging out, it feels like it's Y/n with me, not Onyx. I never thought I could be that close with someone ever again. Sure, he'll never be able to replace Y/n, but he's the best I've ever had since her.

It sucks that he steals all the girls though.

Red Shoes has taken a liking to him like every other beautiful woman we've met this past year. They all like us, we're nice enough, but Onyx is their favourite. It might be because he's the only human one. If he was cursed like us then the women wouldn't go after him instead of us. And he doesn't even notice it! It's like he's oblivious to women liking him! Even though the women only ever see the top half of his face, they still think he's more attractive than us.

It must be his eyes. Those sparkly, mysterious eyes are captivating, even I must admit. Whenever I make eye contact with Onyx it's like I get sucked into a whirlpool with this weird sense of familiarity to them; they almost feel like home. They're usually so full of life and hope, but there is a darkness to them whenever I meet his gaze. It's like when he looks at me, he tries to cover up a great sadness. Whenever I catch him freezing up though, the usual hope and light are completely gone, replaced with horror and fear and depression. That's what he looked like when Red Shoes brought me to him. It was the worst I've ever seen. It was nearly impossible to not start crying at the clear distress his eyes held.

What was I doing? Oh, right. Love spell so Red Shoes will kiss me and break the curse.

I look through the book spines until I see the one with a heart on it on the top shelf. I reach up to grab it but the door opens and I shrink before I can grab it.

"Merlin, have you seen my cookbook?" Hans asks.

I grit my teeth. "Have you checked in the kitchen?" I ask, trying not to sound rude.

"Oh! The kitchen, of course!" Hans rolls his eyes at himself. "Silly me." He walks out and I heave an annoyed sigh. Now at my normal height, I reach for the book again. My fingers just barely grab it when the door opens again.

"Merlin, have you seen my moisturizer?" Jack asks. The book falls from the shelf and lands directly on my head.

I growl at him and get in his face. "No! Whatever it is I haven't seen it. Now, please, go away!" I nearly yell, pointing out the door.