"Oh, you'll be fine. After the ceremony, we can switch the dress to something more simple for the reception. Is that alright?"

"Yes, please."

Edith fixated her gaze on the bride, examining her one last time before smiling at herself. She and her companions did a marvelous job. "Perfect. You are ready."

"Thank you," Calista glanced around the people crowded in the suite. She was not about to be ungrateful to them, even if her heart did not accept her fate. "All of you. You did a wonderful job and I am more than lucky to have you part of this special occasion, my union with the Crown Prince."

She had to act the part, an engaged lady happily in love with her charming prince, who could not wait to become a princess and to live in the grand palace. An act she would have to live for the rest of her miserable life.

"Before I forget," Edith pulled out a small envelope from her dress's pocket. She reached out to Calistaʼs hand, gently placing it on her palm. "Take this."

Ripping it, the lady pulled out a beautiful flowery headpiece. The headpiece had flower and pearl designs, with a hint of blue among a few pieces. "It was your motherʼs. Beautiful, isn't it? She wore it on her wedding day, a gift given by her mother, your grandmother, which was also a gift from her mother, your great-grandmother. Wear something blue, something old, and something borrowed, they said."

"I could have not asked for more. Thank you, Edith." a warm and genuine smile formed on her lips. Her eyes showered with gratitude, she would forever treasure this heirloom.

Just then, there were three hard knocks on the door. One of the maidens rushed and opened the door.

"Your Highness," the petite lady greeted. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Hello, miss. Am I allowed to see the bride? Lady Calista?" replied from the other side. The maiden nodded, leading him to the bride a few feet away.

"Prince Declan." How fortunate to see him here, clad in his best wedding suit. It was a surprise indeed. Her former lover and fiance, seeing her in a wedding dress that was not meant for him. A pretty bride who was not his. "What a pleasant surprise."

The charming Crown Prince of Havia, Declan Hale Hedricks surveyed the room, "I would like a moment alone with the lady. You may leave."

"But Your Hi—," Edith saw the nod of agreement from the lady. There was hesitance in her eyes but she nodded nonetheless, ushering the people out of the suite until the prince was able to take a good look at the woman in front of him.

"You are not even a prince of this kingdom and yet you have authority among these people. Such arrogance, princeling." there was a glint of mischief in Declan's eyes before it flattered away, placed with a simple smile.

"I suppose." he brought his hand towards her, carrying a gift bag that weighed, judging from his firm grip. "I, uh, wanted to give you this before the ceremony. A gift, for a prosperous marriage with my cousin. Congratulations." She knew it pained him to say those words though she was grateful he had come to terms, they were not able to clear the air between their relationship.

"Oh! Thank you, Declan." she reached out to the small elegant box, the feel of his hands as their hands brushed together was warm. He had such soft hands, she was taken back to the first time they met and exchanged greetings four years ago. She also wondered what the hands of her betrothed felt like. Soon enough, it would be his hands she would hold.

"How thoughtful of you. Such a marvelous gift." A dozen of scented candles, each with a different fragrance. She was a sucker for candles. It relaxes her, eases her mind of responsibilities and roles, even if it was only for a while.