Part 14: Fools and Fiends

Start from the beginning

The truth of the matter is that the one standing beside me is the one who slaughtered all those people, hoping to be fast enough to kill their leader, but they failed, and understand that something must be done to atone for the crime they have committed against you. They did not tell me of what it was they planned, nor did I have any knowledge of what exactly was to happen until after the act was finished.

They are will to accept whatever may become of them.

But I have come up with a different solution. One that will end this violence once and for all.

I have spoken to the people in the Colosseum just outside the kingdom, I'm certain most are familiar with the location. They have agreed to allow Regal and us to settle our differences there. Do not worry, they would not care if we both died, it just makes for a more exciting show.

I will be there, waiting, all through the day. If he does not come, you will all know what he truly is. What we have already learned he is. A coward who refuses to face his enemies in battle.

As for the mantis. I wish to speak to you directly.

If you believe you can rule our people better than we can then you should be prepared to defeat all who try to destroy them, that means it is likely you will have to fight both of us, even if you manage to kill me."

They both disappeared, giving the same message to Dirtmouth.

They did not stay long enough to answer questions, they both had somewhere they needed to go.

Vessel went home, quickly got her staff and departed to the Colosseum of Fools to wait for the remainder of the day. She did not know when the mantis would come after all.

The Hollow Shade was going somewhere else though, and they needed to hurry or they would be too late.

So while Queen stood there, waiting for Tritaron, the King was moving as fast as they could up to Hallownest's Crown.

To say both were afraid was an understatement. They were terrified, Vessel especially, but they both knew what they had to do.

So Vessel stood there, half hoping that the mantis wouldn't show up. It gave her a lot of time to think. Time to consider whether this was really the best thing to do.

The Hollow Shade sped as fast as they could through the crystals, looking for any landmark to find it.

Of course, she knew he would—despite any pleading with fate she did. That was just what calling him a coward would do. There was no way he wouldn't show his face after she so brutally insulted his ego.

Why did these mines have to look the same everywhere you went? At least nothing attacked them as they passed.

It took maybe ten minutes for the mantis to appear. He looked proud and slightly annoyed. His expression made Vessel realize that this was a the first time she had seen him.

It was incredible how much he reminded her of the Traitor Lord.

"I almost assumed I would get here before you did." He says.

"That would be very difficult considering I came straight here."

The King punches a crystal in frustration at how lost they were.

How could the mines possibly be this large and confusi— oh hey, there it is.

"Unfortunate too. That means you didn't get a chance to say goodbye to your pathetic King."