"Oh, I think you were totally drooling in one of them, Megumi," Gojo taunted, pointing at his phone. 

"H-Huh? Delete them now, Gojo-sensei!" Megumi flusteredly spluttered, his face turning red from humiliation.

"Nope!" Gojo childishly refused, opening Megumi's bedroom door and rushing away from their sight before returning back to stick his head out next to the doorframe. "Find me when you've gotten ready!"

With that, the white-haired man disappeared off leaving the two boys in awkward silence.

"Doing whatever he wants as usual," Megumi irritatedly grumbled under his breath, deeply exhaling whilst rising up from the edge of the bed. 

Kai expectantly stared at the older boy, waiting for him to say something to him.

The black-haired boy noticed his presence after a few seconds of stretching. He sheepishly scratched the back of his head. "As I said, you can stay here and sleep a bit more. I'll make breakfast for you and put a container over it for you."

Kai timidly nodded, strands of his black hair tickling his eyelids at the movement. "T-Thank you."

Megumi quietly stared at him, his mouth opening as if he wanted to say more but kept quiet in the end and instead turned around to leave the bedroom.

Kai laid back down on his side, lifting the sheets up to his neck and settling his face into the soft pillow, slowly drifting back to sleep.

The loud sound of a conversation caused Kai's attention to be directed over to his bedroom door. Quietly, he put down the toys he was playing with for the past hour and walked over to his door, opening it and stepping out into the hallway. In an instant, his body slammed into another body that was firmer and taller with a pained grunt. 

Gojo immediately appeared behind Itadori, an expression of panic on his face. "Ah, Itadori, don't-"

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry! I didn't see you!" The unfamiliar pink-haired boy frantically apologized, reaching his large hand out to grab Kai's wrist.

Kai's pupils dilated in terror, recoiling from the unknown touch. Heavily breathing through his mouth whilst desperately clasping onto his hand as if he had been painfully burnt. "Don't touch me!"

"Kai, it's okay, take a deep breath," Gojo softly reassured him, leaning down to grab onto Kai's trembling hands.

At the same time, Megumi stumbled out of his bedroom clad in his own clothes with a look of worry at the sight. He rushed over to stand by Itadori's side, concernedly frowning down at Gojo who was still trying to calm down a panicking Kai.

"I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to upset him," Itadori grimaced, his tone laced with shame. His hands still hovering in the air.

"It's okay," Megumi breathed out, comforting Itadori with a consoling gaze. "Kai just doesn't like to be touched by people he doesn't know. He must have been shocked seeing an unfamiliar face."

"You feeling better now?" Gojo asked, gently releasing his grip on Kai's hands and placing a hand on the small boy's head. "Want some water?"

Kai politely declined with a shake of his head, his fingers gripping into the front of his shirt. "I-I'm okay now, sorry."

"No need to apologize," Itadori assured, scratching the back of his nape. "It was my fault, after all."

Gojo rose from his squatting position next to Kai, tenderly pulling the younger boy back to his feet and delicately lacing their fingers together to hold his hand. He whipped his head over to Megumi. 

"Megumi, I'm going to take Kai for some fresh air and to get lunch. Can you show Itadori where his room is?"

"Yes, Gojo-sensei," Megumi responded with a nod, his blue eyes flickering over to Kai's small figure with a glint of concern before gesturing to the pink-haired boy cluelessly watching them to follow him further down the hallway. 

"Come on, Itadori."

The teenage boys carried on walking leaving Kai alone with Gojo who fondly squeezed his hand. 

"What do you feel like eating today, Kai?" Gojo sang in a cutesy tone, gently swinging Kai's hand back and forth as the pair walked back into the main school building.

"I'm not really sure," Kai mumbled, dipping his head to the floor.

Gojo silently examined him before turning his head back to the front. "You really scared me and Megumi there, you know. We haven't seen you panic like that in a while. I'm sorry about our new student bumping into you like that."

"Who...is he?" Kai quietly asked.

"His name is Itadori Yuji and he's a new student as of today. You see, the mission I sent Megumi out on today didn't go as planned and we ended up coming back with a plus one," Gojo explained, trying to make it coherent for Kai to understand.

Kai's features tugged into an expression of unease and discomfort. He wasn't sure if he would be able to feel comfortable around the new student with the way he unknowingly tried to touch him. His touch still lingered on Kai's pale wrist.

Gojo noticed his uneasiness and spoke up. "I'll make sure Itadori doesn't try to touch you again, kiddo. Don't worry about it."

He smiled down at Kai, lovingly ruffling his hair. 

═════════════════════

Hope everyone enjoyed this chapter <3