024. images of the past

Start from the beginning

"So, there are contingencies."

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." Secretary Ross says. "Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asks.

"Then you retire." He answers.

Hallie can feel the tension brewing. This morning had been filled with guilt and now the day has turned to tension, all because of one man. Or, 117 countries giving them a choice. The file is heavy in her lap, feels like a million bricks. She wonders how long they've been working on this, and now they are only introducing it to them. After Sokovia? Or before and they only named it after Sokovia, the power of three, enhanced individuals now coming into play and they though it was finally time to bring it out.

Hallie doesn't want to look through it, so instead of sets it on the coffee table before her, feeling the resolve around the room. People have already chosen, and next to her Tony had already chosen. And she knows exactly what he chose. And she can feel the resolve settling within her own mind.

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have."

"So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam questions Rhodey, the only two who seem to be arguing. Rhodey's choice didn't come as a surprise, nor did Sam's.

"A 117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, "No, that's cool. We got it.""

"How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam questions him.

"I have an equation." Vision interrupted.

"Oh, this will clear it up." Sam stated sarcastically.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate." Vision said, and Hallie looked down.

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked.

"'m saying there may be a causality." Vision corrected. "Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict. . . breeds catastrophe. Oversight. . . oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand." Vision states.

"Boom."

"Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyper-verbal." Natasha observes as he moves his hand away from his face to look at her.

"It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve says.

"Boy, you know me so well." Tony quips, before rolling off the couch and wincing, rubbing the back of his head and Hallie feels the vision of the couch rise without the weight, glancing down at the spot he'd once sat at. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache." He walks to the kitchen and grabs a mug. "That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?"

He puts his phone in a basket and taps it. The phone projects an image of a smiling young man. He looks down, then back up, and pretends to notice the picture for the first time and Hallie examines the image of the young man she had never seen before, knowing it'll have to do with the argument he was going to come up with for the decision he'd made. The one that many in the room wouldn't agree with.