"Stay away! Don't touch me! I don't want you to touch me!" Kai screamed, anger and betrayal pulsing through his veins. Salty tears rolled down his cheeks and burned the tiny cut on his bottom lip but he didn't care and carried on crying.

Nothing could compare to the heavy feeling weighing down his heart. Even if his dad was a horrible person and always hit him, he never wanted him to die such a gruesome death. 

Seeing his parents crumble to their deaths and the fact that he wasn't able to save them. What could he have done for them to be here right now?

Kai furiously glared up at the white-haired man, a clenched fist stuck to his side.

"Okay, I promise I won't touch you," Gojo reassuringly attempted to say, as if he was speaking to a scared animal. "I just need you to come with me. Can you do that?"

Kai stubbornly turned his head away, lifting his hand up to wipe away the tears falling down his pale cheeks with the back of his hand. "I don't care."

Gojo breathed out an exasperated sigh, holding his finger up before turning around to pull out a mobile phone from his trouser pocket. "Give me a moment. I need to call someone."

Kai quietly watched Gojo begin to conversate with someone over the phone.

"I need you to drive over to the address I sent you, Ichiji. It's urgent. No-I...of course I haven't done anything stupid! I'll explain everything when you get here and," he halted, slightly turning his head to spare a glance at the black-haired boy unamusedly staring at him, "I have a kid with me."

After a few more minutes of Gojo talking on the phone, he hung up and popped the device back into his pocket. The white-haired man spun around on his heels to face Kai whilst clapping his hands together, enthusiastically beaming.

"You hungry? I can quickly make you something with whatever's left in the fridge," Gojo offered, patiently waiting for the boy's response.

Kai glowered at the man in front of him, his stubbornness filled at full capacity. "I don't care. Do whatever you want."

"Hey, you gotta keep yourself alive, okay? Eating is important whether you like it or not," Gojo lectured, moving to walk out of the bedroom and out into the eerily silent hallway. 

"Sometimes the best option is to keep on going forward even if you lose people that you care about," he turned around to drop a hand onto Kai's head. "Besides, you're not alone anymore," the white-haired man grinned, "because you have me now."

Kai's chin trembled, lowering his head in defeat. His hands holding the toy going limp.

He hastily recovered and gently slapped Gojo's hand away from his head, whipping his head to the side. 

"I guess I'm a little hungry after all," he moodily grumbled.

Gojo's features softened for a split second before he clapped his hands together and carried on walking downstairs with Kai quietly following after him.

"You know," Gojo pensively hummed, his elbow on the brown wooden table positioned in the middle of the kitchen with his chin in his hand, "you remind me of a certain someone that I know. You look like him when he was younger."

It was hard to see what expression the man was making with the black blindfold covering his eyes.

"Why are you wearing that?" Kai bluntly asked, completely ignoring what Gojo said before.

Gojo's lips formed an 'o' shaped, lifting his other hand up that was resting on his lap to point at the black blindfold. "You mean this?"

Kai pulled an irritated face, silently slurping on his instant noodles and pondered whether the man was plain oblivious or just an idiot. "Yes," he mumbled.

"It's to limit the power that I have," Gojo explained, using childish hand gestures. "My senses are extremely sensitive."

Gojo noticed the boy's dumbfounded expression and lazily waved a hand in the air. "It's okay if you don't understand it now, you're still little so none of this makes sense to you."

Kai scowled, pushing the half empty plate of the instant noodles, that Gojo had quickly made for him, away. 

"I'm tired," the black-haired boy impatiently frowned at Gojo. "Can I sleep?"

"Go ahead," Gojo said. "You want to use my lap as a pillow?"

"No," Kai straight forwardly responded, not paying any attention to Gojo feigning an offended expression on his face. He stood up from the chair and walked over to the couch in the living room before laying down with his plush toy squeezed against his chest.

He tentaively closed his eyes, the memory of his parents flashing back into his mind as he shivered in fear.

"Don't worry about anything and just sleep. I'm right here," Gojo softly uttered from the kitchen table.

Kai decided to have faith in his words, the sound of his own breathing gradually lulling him to sleep.

═════════════════════

Just wanted to say thank you for the votes I've received so far on this book. It makes me feel motivated to write more when seeing people reading this.