Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback

Start from the beginning

It was the first really fine day we'd had in months. The sky was a clear, forget - me - not blue, and there was a feeling in the air of summer coming.
I, who was crouched over my potions book, didn't look up until I heard Ron say,

"Hagrid! What are you doing in the library?"

Hagrid shuffled into view, hiding something behind his back. He looked very out of place in his moleskin overcoat.

"Jus' lookin'." Hagrid said, in a shifty voice that got our interest at once.

"An' what're you lot up ter? Yer not still lookin' fer Nicolas Flamel, are yeh?" Hagrid said, suddenly suspicious.

"Oh, we found out who he is ages ago." I said brightly.

"And we know what that dog's guarding, it's a Philosophers St -" Ron said impressively.

"Shhhh!" Hagrid looked around quickly to see if anyone was listening.   

"Don' go shoutin' about it, what's the matter with yeh?" Hagrid said.

"There are a few things we wanted to ask you, as a matter of fact, about what's guarding the Stone apart from Fluffy -" Harry said.

"SHHHH! Listen - come an' see me later, I'm not promisin' I'll tell yeh anythin', mind, but don' go rabbitin' about it in here, students aren' s'pposed ter know. They'll think I've told yeh -" Hagrid said.

"See you later, then." Harry said.

Hagrid shuffled off.

"What was he hiding behind his back?" Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Do you think it had anything to do with the Stone?" I questioned.

"I'm going to see what section he was in." Ron said, who'd had enough of working.

He came back a minute later with a pile of books in his arms and slammed them down on the table.

"Dragons! Hagrid was looking up stuff about dragons! Look at these: Dragon Species of Great Britain and Ireland; From Egg to Inferno, A Dragon Keeper's Guide." Ron said.

"Hagrid's always wanted a dragon, he told me so the first time I ever met him." Harry said.

"But it's against our laws." Ron said we shared an apprehensive glance at each other.

"Dragon breeding was outlawed by the Warlocks' Convention of 1709, everyone knows that. It's hard to stop Muggles from noticing us if we're keeping dragons in the back garden - anyway, you can't tame dragons, it's dangerous." I told Harry and Hermione.

"You should see the burns Charlie's got off wild ones in Romania." Ron said.

"But there aren't wild dragons in Britain?" Harry said.

"Of course there are." I said.

"Theres Common Welsh Green.

"And theres the Hebridean Blacks. The Ministry of Magic has a job hushing them up, I can tell you." I said.

"Our kind have to keep putting spells on Muggles who've spotted them, to make them forget." Ron said.

"So what on earth's Hagrid up to?" Hermione said.

When we knocked on the door of the gamekeeper's hut an hour later, they were surprised to see that all the curtains were closed. Hagrid called "Who is it?" before he let us in, and then shut the door quickly behind us.
It was stifling hot inside. Even though it was such a warm day, there was a blazing fire in the grate. Hagrid made us tea and offered them stoat sandwiches, which we refused.

"So - yeh wanted to ask me somethin'?" Hagrid said.

"Yes. We were wondering if you could tell us what's guarding the Philosophers Stone apart from Fluffy." Harry said.

There was no point beating around the bush.

Hagrid frowned at him.

"O' course I can't. Number one, I don' know meself. Number two, yeh know too much already, so I wouldn' tell yeh if I could. That Stone's here fer a good reason. It was almost stolen outta Gringotts - I s'ppose yeh've worked that out an' all? Beats me how yeh even know abou' Fluffy." Hagrid said.

"Oh, come on, Hagrid, you might not want to tell us, but you do know, you know everything that goes on round here. We only wondered who had done the guarding, really. We wondered who Dumbledore had trusted enough to help him, apart from you." I said in a warm flattering voice.