The Southern Air Temple

Start from the beginning

"Uncle, I want the repairs made as quickly as possible. I don't want to stay too long and risk losing their trail," Zuko said as he and his uncle walked off the ship.

"You mean the avatars?" His uncle asked.

"Don't mention their names on these docks," Zuko quickly said. "Once word gets out that they're alive, every firebender will be out looking for them, and I don't want anyone getting in the way."

"Getting in the way of what, Prince Zuko?" A new voice questioned.

"Captain Zhao," Zuko greeted, coldly.

"It's commander now," He corrected. "And General Iroh, great hero of our nation."

"Retired general," Zuko's uncle corrected.

"The Fire Lord's brother and son are welcome guests anytime. What brings you to my harbor?" Zhao asked politely.

"Our ship is being repaired," Iroh explained, gesturing to their nearly totaled ship.

"That's quite a bit of damage," Zhao concluded after inspecting it where he stood.

"Yes, you wouldn't believe what happened," Zuko said, attempting to think quickly. When that failed, he said, "Uncle, tell Commander Zhao what happened."

Iroh made a face and said, "Yes, I will do that. It was incredible. What, did we crash or something?" He asked Zuko that last part in a whisper.

"Yes! Right into... an Earth Kingdom ship!" Zuko said, avoiding eye contact and clearly lying.

"Really?" Zhao asked, clearly not buying the lie but pretending to go along with it. "You must regale me with all the thrilling details. Join me for a drink?" He requested, getting in Zuko's face.

"Sorry, but we have to go," Zuko declined, turning away.

"Prince Zuko," Uncle Iroh scolded, "show Commander Zhao your respect." He turned to Zhao. "We would be honored to join you. Do you have any ginseng tea? It's my favorite."

Zuko growled and shot fire at the ground before following his uncle.

•••

Appa and his passengers were flying right above the clouds, and they could see the tops of mountains that broke through the sea of white.

"Hey, stomach, be quiet alright? I'm trying to find us some food," Sokka ordered, clutching his rumbling stomach.

While he was rummaging through the bags, Hikari looked over her shoulder and asked Katara, "Does he always talk to his stomach?"

Katara giggled. "Yep. Every time he's hungry."

Sokka shook a bag over his hand, only to be disappointed when only a few crumbs fell out.

"Hey!" He cried "Who ate all my blubbered seal jerky?"

Aang was surprised. "Oh, that was food?" He asked "I used it to start the campfire last night. Sorry."

Hikari lightly hit him on the shoulder. "How many times have the monks told you not to touch something if you don't know what it is?" She scolded him.