part 1: a foggy enigma

Start from the beginning

"My turn! I see something... red!"

Beomgyu paused, raising an eyebrow. He looked around but couldn't see what Hueningkai was referring to.

"Gimme a hint, where is it?"

Hueningkai snickered. "It's on the ship somewhere."

Beomgyu tilted his head curiously, slowly climbing down to look around when Hueningkai slightly shook the shrouds.

"You're not backing down, are you?" he dared. Beomgyu smiled, slowly climbing back up.

"Not yet!" the boy called back, looking around more. He looked around a little more, scratching his head curiously.

"Is it— Captain Soobin's sash?"

Hueningkai nodded happily, Beomgyu playfully shoving him with one hand.

"How was I supposed to see that! It's barely noticeable up here!" Beomgyu snapped, raising a hand in objection.

"But it is bright red, c'mon I say that was easy!" Hueningkai said jokingly, rolling his eyes.

Captain Soobin looked up at the two, laughing and playing with each other on the shrouds. He laughed to himself, waving up at the two. Hueningkai slowly climbed down from the shrouds and jumped back onto the deck. His boots landed smoothly onto the deck, waving happily at the captain.

Beomgyu followed after him, jumping off the shrouds and tumbled onto the deck. He got back up on his feet, giving the others a reassuring thumbs-up and a happy smile.

Yeonjun finished mopping the deck, throwing the excess water overboard and setting the mop aside. He brushed himself off, settling down on a nearby barrel.

Captain Soobin took over steering, Taehyun settled down next to Yeonjun.

"We're heading to Magic Island, right?" Yeonjun asked, looking into the open sea, Taehyun humming in response.

"Hopefully, though we're not quite sure on direction," Taehyun answered, leaning his palm in his cheek. Yeonjun nodded, yawning lazily.

Taehyun snickered. "You must be sleepy from mopping all morning."

Yeonjun nodded lethargically. "I feel like that's all I do when I'm out at sea, just mopping the deck 24/7. Unless we get attacked all of a sudden then that's when something actually happens."

"Don't jinx it!" Taehyun exclaiming, hitting the other playfully. He sighed, setting his hands in his lap and looking at the sea. Beomgyu was showing Hueningkai how to climb the shrouds again, the other being more scared to climb back up.

"Have you ever climbed up to the shrouds with Beomgyu?" Yeonjun asked, "I've kinda wanted to try."

Taehyun shrugged. "I've always been a little scared to go up there, but I'm sure it's got a nice view. I'd rather stay on the ground though."

Yeonjun laughed lightly, slowly getting up. "You think all five of us could fit up there?"

"Probably not, unless some of us are on either side of the boat," Taehyun scoffed. Yeonjun slowly got up from the crate, running over to the shrouds and grabbing onto the ropes.

Taehyun got up too, walking over and watched as the boy climbed up the ropes and looked into the open sea.

The ship was heading towards an odd— fog. Though it was bright and sunny, the clouds suddenly blocked the sun. Taehyun's smile quickly faded from his face, as he looked into the large puff of fog in the distance.

Taehyun looked behind them, seeing the sunlight barely peek through like a light shining from the crack of a door. He rushed to the helm, tugging on Captain Soobin's arm.

"Captain! We might have a storm up ahead!"

Captain Soobin raised an eyebrow, letting Taehyun take over steering while he grabbed the map again. Yeonjun hopped down from the shrouds, Beomgyu and Hueningkai leaning over the railing as the crew headed straight towards the puff of fog.

"We should be heading in the right direction... according to the map," Soobin mumbled, the sunlight slowly disappearing as the fog started forming around them.

Beomgyu pulled out his telescope, peering into it. There was nothing that could be seen in front of them, nor beside them or behind them. Captain Soobin slowly walked to the railing of the ship, looking around.

Beomgyu handed him the telescope, the captain taking a quick glance through it as well. As the crew kept going, there was no storm. The waters were still and the morning breeze seemed to have stopped.

Now, the ship was aimlessly drifting in the cloudy fog.

"Kai, raise the sails. Beomgyu, update me if you see anything else," Soobin ordered, resting a hand on the railing, "And Yeonjun, steer while Taehyun looks at the map."

"Yes captain!"

Beomgyu and Captain Soobin looked over the railing, being able to barely make out the outline of twisted trees and a large mass of land ahead. There was a faint green and blue glow escaping from under the fog, luring them in closer and sparking their curiosity more.

Captain Soobin felt tears prick at his eyes, resting both of his hands on the railing. He couldn't stop smiling to himself, as the land came closer into view. Beomgyu looked at his captain.

It was the first time in a while Soobin had cried out of happiness, almost unable to contain his joy. Taehyun and Yeonjun stopped what they were doing, seeing the land come closer into view.

Hueningkai smiled brightly, looking to his captain and running over. He giggled, seeing a tear escape from Soobin's face as he quickly wiped it away.

"Everyone..." he spoke slowly, the fog clearing and the island coming into full view.

They could see twisted trees and fields of mute colored flowers. Soobin could see the red and blue trees with branches that laced together and other wonders that barely disappeared in the alluring fog.

Soobin smiled proudly, looking at his crew. "We made it."