A New Colleague, An Old Enemy

Start from the beginning

"How was your summer?"

"What class am I teaching?"

"Enjoyed it, I hope."

"What class am I teaching?"

"Mine was lovely, dear."

"What class am I teaching?"

"Such impatience in today's youth." Dumbledore sighed sadly as Ariella glared at him in annoyance.

"Albus Dumbledore, what class did I give up my ministry job to teach?" She asked with her slender arms folded across her chest.

"Oh, very well. History of Magic." He replied as if to answer was losing a game of some sort. Ariella's eyes widened.

"Whatever happened to Professor Binns? He couldn't have died! He was a ghost, wasn't he?" She asked in worry.

"Professor Binns had a run-in with Peeves and is well recuperating." Dumbledore replied easily as he led Ariella up to the castle by the small of her back. She pursed her lips at the memory of Peeves.

"I never did like him. I think you should get rid of him."

"Then how would future generations of students suffer?"

"Stuffy old teachers and piles of homework are torture enough, if I remember correctly." She responded with a smile as Dumbledore chuckled. His voice echoed eerily in the almost empty castle as they passed through the front doors.

"Albus." A surprised voice was heard as Ariella and Dumbledore looked up to its owner. Severus Snape stared at the young woman next to the headmaster. Her blonde curls and amethyst eyes reminded him of someone he had known in his youth.

"Ah, Severus! This is Professor Cross. She'll be filling in for Cuthbert while he recuperates." Dumbledore introduced the woman as he gently pushed her toward the potions master.

"Good evening." She tilted her head forward to acknowledge him. He stared at her.

"Well come along, Ariella dear. Your quarters are up these stairs." Severus froze when he heard her first name and refused to move even after she had left his presence. Finally he forced himself to return to his classroom, where he knew he'd be able to think in peace and without being disturbed.

"Who was that?" Ariella asked as she walked beside Dumbledore who smiled.

"Severus Snape, the potions master." He replied. Ariella stopped, frozen by her school memories.

"Come along, Ella. I'm sure he's forgotten all about your years in school together." Dumbledore reassured the blonde as she finally continued to walk with him.

"He's going to hate me. I just know it." Ariella groaned as she made her way to the Great Hall for dinner later that night. She took her time getting there as she reminisced her school days. She giggled as she recalled a painful memory with the wall she had her hand on.

"Professor Cross." A dark voice brought Ariella out of her memory induced daze and she turned to face its owner with a scowl.

"It's not very nice to sneak up on people, Professor Snape." She replied curtly. His dark eyes narrowed on her as she brought herself up to her full 5' 4" height, trying to look menacing. The past Slytherin studied the past Gryffindor with scrutinizing eyes. She hadn't changed much. She seemed to be the same height and size. Her hair was longer and her eyes calmer. Her ivory skin appeared flawless and smooth as dark, long lashes fanned her eyes. He sneered before sliding past her, narrowly avoiding her scent.

"Do not stand in my way." He growled before disappearing around a nearby corner. Ariella pursed her lips and scowled. Trust a Slytherin to ruin the mood, she thought sourly as she made her way to the Great Hall. She took note of the empty seat next to Severus and quickly decided on the chair at the other end of the table next to McGonagall.