Chapter 2: A Proper Home

For the first time in years, Kopa actually felt relaxed. The scarred lion sighed in relief, savoring the Tree of Life's healing power as Nirmala carefully placed vines across his deep scars.

"Ahhhh." Kopa wished this healing session would never end.

"That's it, feel the Tree's energy revitalize you." Nirmala's warm voice helped him ease up and forget his years of agony. After an hour of healing, Kopa left the Tree feeling utterly rejuvenated.

"How are you feeling?" Makini asked as he came out.

"Good, very good." Kopa shook himself and looked up at the morning sun, breathing in the fresh air. However, his mood immediately shifted when he saw the various young ones and their parents.

"Be good for Makini, and no running off again." Fuli said sternly to her son as she set him down beside Ike, Rae, and the others. He tried to look away, only to see Saka with Rani.

"Make sure you listen carefully this morning, Saka. You're going to be King one day, and that's a big responsibility."

"I'll do my best, mom." Rani smiled tenderly before nuzzling her son.

"I know you will. Later today, you and Prince Tamu will get to spend time with your father at the canyon."

Vitani stretched as she walked past the tree and noticed Kopa. She nervously pondered, approaching him until noticing the lion's somewhat painful demeanor while he watched Saka with his mother.

"Hey, are you ok?" Kopa glanced back at Vitani, trying to hide his feelings.

"I'm fine. The tree helped."

"You don't look ok. Is something bothering you?"

"I'm just hungry. I wasn't able to eat yesterday."

"There's a hunting ground in the savanna, I can show you-" Vitani started with a hopeful expression at the idea of going on a hunt with Kopa.

"It's fine. The Night Lions showed me where it is."

"Ohhh. Ok, enjoy your hunt." Kopa left without a word, leaving a disappointed Vitani. Kion slowly approached from behind. He, too, watched Kopa with conflicted emotions, though not for the same reason as Vitani. For he didn't even consider the possibility she did.

"Vitani, do you have a second?"

"Huh? Oh, sure Kion."

"Vitani, before we train today, I want to clear the air. You need to know there are no more hard feelings over what happened months ago."

Vitani slowly turned towards Kion and saw his entire Guard had assembled around him.

"I hope we didn't hurt your feelings yesterday." Fuli said sincerely.

"Yeah, you're more than welcome here." Beshte added.

"Don't be anxious over it anymore. We're all Guardians here." Anga said.

"You've more than made up for it." Ono added.

"We all make mistakes. I mean, Duke Advik's Guard attacked us once. Now we're as thick as thieves with them." Bunga assured Vitani while patting her leg. Hearing them say this raised Vitani's spirits immensely.

"Thanks, that's good to know." With this sense of encouragement, she looked back at Kopa as he walked towards the desert hunting grounds.

"We're not training until later, right?"

Kion nodded, not noticing Vitani's expression as she stared at Kopa. Fuli and Anga, however, did.

"I might do some hunting first."