Then he opened up about his past, his insecurities, and it made you long to hold him. There was a vulnerability in his eyes, the kind that only come from an unprotected heart. You realized there was more chance of you hurting him than the opposite.

"You're the one who organized this whole thing," you reminded Natasha.

"Yeah, but I didn't know you had a crush on him. And if someone tells Okoye this was my idea, she'll kill me."

You turned to her with a not-sorry smile. "Yup."

Your big sister was like most big sisters: extremely protective. When your mother had to work late, she was in charge and she took her role very seriously. You were nine when she finally got her driver's licence, and that day she graduated from sister to mother. Eat your vegetables. Did you do your homework? I know you didn't brush your teeth.

Okoye was loyal, protective, intimidating, and never afraid to speak her mind. When she decided to join the Dora Milaje, you thought the job was perfect for her –the king's bodyguard, now that's something you'd like to put on your resume.

"Do you want me to stay tonight?" Natasha asked as you got inside the elevator.

"Why are you so worried?"

"I don't know." She pressed her back against the wall and shrugged. "It's always been you and me. Since first grade."

You returned her sad smile with one of your own. "Heckle and Jeckle."

She barked out a laugh at the memory. It was the nickname her father had for the two of you. It used to be a popular animated cartoon in the 50s. It was the story of two talking magpies who were always getting into some kind of trouble.

You stepped out of the elevator, still arguing about which one of you got to be Jeckle, the less problematic of the two, when you noticed that Bucky was patiently waiting for you by the front door. He didn't say anything but there was an amused smile on his face.

He let you put your suitcases in the guest room near the kitchen and told you that he had to run a few errands, giving you a little privacy. Natasha hung up your clothes in the wardrobe while you unpacked your other stuff and put them away in the drawers of your dresser.

It didn't take you long to unpack. When you were done, you threw yourself onto the bed, watching Natasha. You were excited to sleep in a real bed, you couldn't stop running your hands up and down the comforter.

"Jeckle," Natasha said, looking at the mostly empty wardrobe. "You need new clothes."

"Ugh, yes," you groaned from the bed.

When you were a teenager, you used to spend every weekend at the mall with your sisters and Natasha. Your wardrobe wasn't big enough to fit all your clothes and your mother often asked you to get rid of the things you didn't wear anymore. You never did.

Then life happened, and you didn't have the energy or money to go shopping anymore.

You went to the kitchen to grab something to drink. Bucky's fridge was even bigger than the one you had at work, and it was full of food in neatly labelled rows of Tupperware containers. The one in front of you was labelled 'baby carrots'.

"Neat freak alert," Natasha commented, peering over your shoulder into the refrigerator.

"Stop it."

You took a bottle of water and sat at the kitchen island while Natasha continued investigating his kitchen. Bucky had several gadgets that few people had in their kitchen like a cutting board with suction cups on the bottom and nails on top to hold the food in place while slicing.