Part III - Chapter 02

Start from the beginning

Meanwhile, the Queen had set herself down on the floor, right by the edge, facing Julian. She had her back to Nicole. "You should see her, Joseph. She is wonderful. Perfect in every way. And powerful." She chuckled. "I think she will do nicely."

Nicole tossed a glance over her shoulder and Ella was right there. Ella held a finger to her lips.

"Now." The Queen sat up. "You must wonder why I have come today. Or perhaps you know already. I think you do."

She rose to her feet. She brushed away at her cloak.

She stood still. "This is your last chance. I have no more use for you. I may as well snap your mind like a twig. You know I could. But you see that I hesitate. And you know the reason for that too, don't you?"

The Queen began pacing back and forth in front of him.

Julian's eyes were still down and staring into the pit. It was like he had not moved a single muscle since Nicole and Ella had sneaked into the room from the beginning. He was a statue, a living, breathing statue of wood, glowing red and yellow, yet not consumed in the fiery pit of agony in which he had been bound, a hell of torment that for most other men and women had only existed in the imagination, in their minds up to now.

The Queen continued to pace. "But alas, that is the nature of the thing, isn't it? The curse that runs enmeshed along with its power."

She stopped. She faced him. "You will give it to me, but give it to me by your own free will." She stood tall. "So tell me. Where do you have it hidden?"

She stepped closer. "—Where is it?!"

The Queen shot her hand out, palm forward. She held it against him like she was blasting a laser into Julian's face.

A rumble in the chamber.

The tree-giant shifted.

He shrugged his shoulder. His face twitched. He trembled.

The Queen's hand trembled too with the effort.

Nicole craned her neck back to search into Ella's face. Ella glared back at her. Nicole made to get up. Ella held her down. She shook her head.

Out in the room, the Queen stopped.

She threw down her hand. "Enough of this!"

She spun around. She faced the crack in the wall behind her.

"Show yourself!"

~~~

Nicole moved again.

Ella wouldn't let her. She shoved her back down.

That and all in one smooth motion, Ella pumped herself clean off Nicole and bounced into the room to face the Queen, all by herself, all alone. "Mother, it is me."

The Queen stepped back. She had been on guard with her hand held forth in front of her, but now she lowered it to her side again. "Elwing! What are you doing here?" She backed away some more. She relaxed. Turning away from her daughter, she rotated around to face the giant in the pit again. She spoke to Ella over her shoulder. "What do you want?"

Ella took a step forward. "Let the child go, Mother. She is innocent."

"Innocent?" The Queen scoffed. "No one is innocent…"

"We will find another way."

The Queen smiled. "No, my child. That is not necessary anymore. We already have our answer. We have Joseph's daughter. We have the daughter of the Tree and she is powerful. Her blood will free us all!"