Prologue

This was my first time out of the house after the accident, and the boys were being ridiculously over-protective by asking me to join them on their run. But at the time I thought it was cute so I agreed, though I know that they would have to slow themselves down for me to keep up with them.

My wolves were waiting for me by the woods, and they took off one by one, leaving only him behind to wait for me. He nudged me ahead, and I started running. And that was when everything began to change for me.

I knew I was running, yet I felt as though my feet were barely touching the ground. The woods seemed to zoom past me, and yet I could focus on the little insects and dewdrops on the leaves if I chose to. I was keeping up with the pack and even reached to the head where Sam was.

There was something in his eyes, concern or fear?

Then he stopped, and in my wonderment did not notice we had reached the cliff. I almost lost my balance as I stopped right on the edge.

I looked around and noticed some more things. It was almost nightfall when we started yet the evening looked bright. The sky above us was the same clear it always was, and yet today I could see more stars than I could count. The water miles below me, which always looked so calm, was now speaking to me in a way I could never imagine. These revelations should have had me gasping, and yet I wasn't.

That was when I realized that I was the biggest idiot on the planet - how could I not notice that I wasn't breathing?

The leaves crunching behind me sounded that he had phased back to his human form. He would be naked, so I didn't bother turning around to face him.

"What have I become?"

His arms circled my waist. I could feel his breath on my neck. And we jumped.