4 BEST NOT TO KNOW

Start from the beginning

     Still reeling from the threats Michelle had made, I sat down on the bed to refocus my brain. What the hell did she think gave her the right to come into my home and threaten me? Soon Jake was speaking through my door. “They got them out, and they are alive! Both need medical attention, but nothing life threatening. However, Rachel may have lost the baby.” The weight of the world lifted off of my shoulders and a major sigh of relief escaped from my twisted and tormented soul. I didn’t have the guilt of killing someone on my conscience. I flew to the door and flung it open to let in the sunshine of happy news. Jake looked like he had been through hell and back, covered in mud, scrapes and cuts, but I didn’t care. I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him tight to me, expressing my great appreciation. I held on to my knight in shining armor as long as I could. He was trying to get me to stop, because of his being filthy. I finally had to relent to let him go.

     He was smiling from ear to ear. “I guess the bearer of bad news gets killed, but the guy that brings good news gets a hero’s welcome. I didn’t do much. Jeremy was the true savior. You should have heard him talking to Rachel as the men were working to move the workings trapping her. He kept her calm, even when the men were scared they were going to make a wrong move. They got the guy out first and he was rushed off to the hospital, it was another hour before they got to Rachel. When we first heard her voice it was like a miracle. She was buried under so much debris, one beam was all that was keeping her from being crushed. First love must have a hold on a person forever, Rachel hasn’t so much as said ’hi’ to Jeremy for five years, but tonight you’d have thought none of that had ever happened.” I asked if Butch showed up there. “Yeah, that is how I got so dirty, fighting Butch. I knew when he heard, he would flip.” I asked why, but at that moment Jeremy came upstairs.

     He looked like he had seen a ghost. I couldn’t help myself, I threw my arms around him and told him how proud I was of him. He blushed and gave an ’ahh shucks, it was nothing’ kind of shrug, but I knew that it had to be misery for him. “Mom says we are leaving to move back to our old house living with Doug again. She wants to be gone tonight.” After what she had said to me, a part of me was relieved, but seeing the disappointment in Jeremy’s face was gut wrenching. I felt responsible for that now too. His displeasure seemed to go beyond anything I could comprehend. I had done much more moving than he ever had and said goodbye to everyone I had ever known, yet he seemed like the world was coming to an end. Jeremy moped off to his room to collect his things.

     I sent my attention back to Jake, I had more questions that were left unasked, because he said he had to go. I walked him to our spot. As we crossed the lawn, I debated whether to tell him about Nicole or not, and opted not. However, I did ask if she showed up at the mine. He rolled his eyes. “Yeah, and she was such a drama queen acting like Rachel was her best friend and this was happening to her. She and Barbie did manage to get Butch to leave though.” I asked about Butch again. “Some things are best not to know.” I nodded my understanding and dropped it. “Why did you ask if Nicole showed up?” I returned his reply saying, ’some things are best not to know’. “Touche! I will come over tomorrow if that is okay, but it will be late in the day, like four o’clock. I have chores I have to do, then I am sure dad will have extra stuff for me to do too.” I told him I will see him then. He started to step away, then came back to give me a quick kiss on the cheek. “See ya!” Then he was out of sight.

     When I was comeing back to the house, Michelle and Jeremy were coming out. They had their arms full of their stuff and carrying it to Michelle’s car. I sat on the porch to watch. When they came back to make another trip I asked if they needed any help, but I was instantly told ‘no’ by Michelle. They made four trips total, then they backed out of the drive and were gone too. Out of curiosity, I checked out beside the garage to see if by chance Nicole felt the need to return tonight, but she hadn’t.