"The reason the mission is so time-sensitive," adds Dom, "is because we have confirmation that the entire stock of this substance is going to be moved to another, more discrete location within an hour or so of us landing on Mimba."

"We've been trying for months to track down a sample of this substance," says Sonya. "But, the terrorists are smart. Once they produce a batch, they destroy all remnants of their factory and move their operations to another location and start all over again, without compromising efficiency. It's remarkable."

"It's as if they suspect that the Squad is in fact trying to steal a sample," adds Xeno.

"Which is why," continues Dom, "in addition to securing samples of the substance, we also need to destroy something that's inherently valuable to the Squad, as a sort of diversion, to throw the terrorists off of our tracks."

"We have to do something that is destructive to the Squad," Sonya explains, "so that if the terrorists have even the slightest suspicion that samples have been stolen, which they most likely will, given their security efforts, they won't immediately suspect that it was us."

"Luckily," continues Dom, "one of the factories that produces a metal that is essential to creating the Squad's ships as well as the chips that we use for all of our communications is relatively close to the factory in which we think that the substance is currently being produced and housed."

"Long story short," says Xeno, "we need to get samples of this substance and plant a bomb within one of our own factories, without being detected by anyone and within a very finite amount of time."

"And the last catch," adds Sonya, "is that there are likely hidden cameras planted throughout the entirety of the terrorists' production facility."

"These cameras will also most likely be disguised in the form of Mimba's most populous native creature - the big, black, hairy Mimbian beetle," finishes Dom.

My stomach drops. Big, black, hairy beetles? No, thank you. I get queasy just thinking about them. I hate anything creepy and crawly like that.

"When entering Mimba's atmosphere," finishes Sonya, "Xeno is going to shroud the spacecraft in an invisible shield and land far away from any civilization. Cadets in-the-field will wear disguises that make them look identical to the ethnic population of Mimba."

"Zayn - you will be responsible for planting the bomb in the Squad's factory, as a diversion tactic," instructs Dom. "And Karina, you will be responsible for retrieving samples of the special substance, let's call it Element X."

I gasp in disbelief. Eva and Max look confused but slightly relieved.

I am not qualified to do this, I silently think to myself.

Xeno speaks up, "Karina has been chosen to go on this mission, due to the unorthodox way in which she was chosen to be a part of the Squad."

"And if she succeeds," he continues, looking straight at Eva and Max, "we can all agree without any doubt at all that she rightfully belongs here, with us, as a member of the Galactic Squad, yes?"

Eva and Max gulp and nod yes.

I look at Zayn, who just smiles and winks, trying his best to assure me that everything is going to be fine.

"Will Sonya and Dom be in-the-field with us?" I finally have the courage to ask.

"No," answers Sonya. "We are expecting our first child soon, and so we are exempt from high-risk missions that require us to be on-the-ground, until she is born."

"But you don't have a belly," I respond, confused. Sonya and Dom both laugh. I think I see Xeno crack a small smile.

"Natural births are now only practiced among the poor," says Sonya. "Our baby is being genetically engineered in a lab, like most children from affluent families are these days."

"But she could be born any moment now," adds Dom. "So, we can't take any chances."

Suddenly, a photo of my mom flashes into my head. It is still, to this day, one of my favorite pictures of her. It sat in a wooden frame on the ledge above our fireplace.

In the photo, she's pregnant with Pikar, and she's wearing a bright coral dress but no shoes. She clutches her swollen belly as she sits on the beach and looks off to the side, smiling, the sun setting behind her and painting her in hues of gold and pink.

"So it's just Karina and me, then," confirms Zayn, snapping me out of my memory.

"Yes," answers Xeno. "Sonya and Dom are taking a capsule back to Shinar before we land on Mimba. But, I will be available to communicate with both of you through your suits' earpieces while you're on Mimba, if you need my guidance or help."

I take a deep breath. In and out.

Be careful what you wish for, Karina, I think to myself. Either I would have rot to death on Dard, or now, I will die on Mimba.

Or, another voice pops into my head, perhaps you will succeed on Mimba and show everyone exactly why you deserve to be here.