Chapter 6

The walk to the castle was shorter than I expected. We walked in a silence the whole way. I could tell that Mason had questions for me but didn't dare speak them around the guards. Personally, I was grateful for the silence. It gave me time to think and I had a lot to think about.

I felt bad for leaving our army like I did but I had no choice. I wasn't going to just let them kill a person that did nothing wrong. That would make them exactly like King Damian. I also was worried about Melody. What would Jack do to her when he woke up?

I block out the rest of my thoughts, afraid they would have me running back to Melody's side. Instead I decide to have a little fun with the green eyed guard.

I walk closer to him until I'm walking next to him. He keeps his gaze forward. "So" I start "what's your name?". He doesn't answer so I continue "are all the guards this stiff and boring?" he says nothing and continues looking ahead. I continue in a whisper "Ah, I see. The silent treatment okay. Well, I just wanted to know how an unfortunate became one of the top guards".

At that I get the reward of a flicker of emotion crossing his face. I laugh "would you look at that? You're not a robot! You think I wouldn't notice the bloody hands tatoo sticking out of your uniform on your collarbone?" I ask.

The bloody hands tatoo was pretty popular for unfortunates. It was a metaphor that stuck. The hands represent the innocent and the blood represents the horror and bloodshed King Damian has spilled on our kingdom. It was a sign of rebellion for the unfortunates.

His jaw clenches as he responds "My name is Kane and I didn't choose to have that symbol etched into my skin. My father forced me down on a table as someone carved it into my body. I hated him for that. I got to where I am out of hard work and self decipline, both things you seem to lack".

I smirk slightly "yep, that's me. A little undiciplined brat that gets waited on hand and foot. Speaking of being waited on hand and foot, where is my gold encrusted chariot I demanded a week ago" I whine.

Instead of getting a smile, the guy gives me a snarl "with that big mouth of yours you won't last long in the castle" he spits coldly. I laugh coldly "haven't you heard? I have been granted the prince's protection".

"Well not even that will help you when you're face to face with the king himself" he says. At that we finally reach the gates of the castle. They open as I walk back over to Mason. I nervously look around the cleanly polished garden and brick wall and know instantly I won't be able to blend in very well here.

I feel a hand slip into mine and I look up at Mason. He leans down and whispers "don't worry, it's not as scary as it looks" I smile gratefully at him as more guards spill out of the castle and over to us. Kane grabs my arms and 2 others grab Mason's to usher us into the palace.

They lead us down the hall into a huge throne room. I look up to see 2 people occupying two of the three thrones at the end of the room. I watch as a women stands up and rushes down the couple stairs towards us as the man stays seated.

"Mason, thank goodness you're alright!" the women exclaims in a breath of releif as she envelopes him into a hug. I let them have a private moment and look away to find the king staring at me. I stare back, not daring to look away.

His eyes are cold as he evaluates me, taking in my dirt stained, muddy ball gown, my tangled rats nest hair (where I can feel a twig in it but I don't dare break his gaze to brush it out) and lastly my bruised and probably dirty face. Finally he breaks out of his stare.

"Mason dear, who is this?" the queen asks his son, looking over at me. I look over at her. "Mom, this is Bridget. She saved me from the attempted assassination. I owe her my life" Mason explains. I blush modestly and reply "it was a group effort".