"Yen kekura?" he asked raising his one eyebrow teasingly

(Why do you ask?)

"Summa dan."

(No reason.)

"Romba interest dan unaku enga amma mela. Anniku show la kooda keta."

(You are very interested in my mother. You asked about her in the show as well.)

"Neenga en amma va pathirukeenga. Adan naan kooda unga amma va pathi keten."

(You have met my mother. I am just curious about yours)

He looked at her a with a smile trying to call her out on such a lame excuse while she was pretending that the blush of embarrassment wasn't evident at all.

"Onnum solla vendam ponga."

(Okay. Don't say anything)

"Anda ponnu poona kutty maari iruka nu sonnanga." He admitted.

(She thinks you are like a cute kitten.)

She giggled. "Nejamava?"

(Really?)

"Ama. 'Unnaye sirika vekarana periya aalu dan. Velai vegathula avala tittiradha badarama paathuko' nu sonnanga."

(Yes. She said 'if she can make you laugh, then she must be very talented.'. She told me I shouldn't shout at you while working and should take care of you.)

The way she smiled widely with so much pride was all that he needed to see on her face on hearing his mother's acknowledgement for her.

He was surprised when his mother told him that on a very casual occasion. It was couple of days after their challenge episode was aired. Ashwin was cooking at home with his mother by his side. It was something they do often. It was their thing.

Ashwin was preparing broth while his mother was standing few feet away chopping onions. Ashwin was practicing for show so he had timer set for himself to complete the task. He was in his usual hyper speed activated mood. Placing two more onions on the island beside his mother, he, out of force of habit,said "Shivangi ma chinna slice ah cut pannu."

(Shivangi chop finely)

Ashwin's steps stopped midway as he realized what he had said. He immediately turned to look at his mother hoping desperately she hasn't heard anything. His mother's raised eyebrows were all the confirmation needed to know that she has indeed heard.

His sweet mother who knew him so well decided to give him a slide that day and pointed him to the burning vessel on stove.

Later once the dish was ready and after his mother rained praises on it, she patted his cheeks lovingly and said, "Nee santhoshama irunda enakum santhosham dan."

(I am happy if you are)

He didn't ponder on that statement much, but he liked hearing her say that. Before he left to Chennai next time is when she told her what he said to Shivangi now.

***

It was fifteen past four and the eagerness in Shivangi's heart was falling short in front of the activeness of her body. She was exhausted after covering a very small rise by foot.

"Tired aaiduchu Ashwineey." She held his shoulder for balance and panted heavily.

(I am tired Ashwin)

"Palaya aalu naane nadakaren unaku enna?" he teased

(When an old man like me can climb, why can't you?)