Chapter 04 - Excuse

Start from the beginning

Now with a large bottle of milk in my hand, I was surprised to see L/n-san's cart to have a lot of stuff in it. From canned foods to packs of noodles to rolls of tissue papers, she has it.

"Ah... L/n-san, how will you bring all of this on your own?" I asked her as we reached the counter and she was rummaging her bag.

"With this!" she merrily exclaimed as she took out a rolled backpack from her bag.

"Why do you have a bag inside a bag?!" I reacted while she opened its zipper and asked the bagger to put her items in there.

"Well, I don't have totes and using plastics bags would definitely not be able to hold the heavy weight of cans, so I just decided to bring a backpack since it's a lot stronger and for me, it's actually easier to lift," she responded.

"But it'll still be heavy, you know!" I told her.

"Oh, don't worry about it. I'm used to heavy lifting," she tried to assure me but I wasn't convinced.

L/n-san paid her groceries with ease and once the bagger was finished putting the items into her backpack, I immediately reached out to grab the bag.

"Kuroo-san!" she gasped at my action.

"I'm a kind person, L/n-san. I'm not gonna let a girl lift something as heavy as this," I told her but then she suddenly took the bag out of my hand before I could strap it over my shoulders.

"Whaddya mean heavy? This is lighter compared to the boxes of groceries that I lift back at my hometown," she told me.

"Who are you? The Greek demigod Hercules?! What were you lifting, anyway?!" I reacted before motioning to take the backpack from her but then she dodged.

"I lift my own groceries," she insisted as she started walking out of the store.

I yanked the backpack off of her and hastily strapped it on my shoulders. "And I am a gentleman, L/n-san," I told her despite being a smug since I know that she would no longer be able to take this away from me.

She pouted and I couldn't help but notice how adorable she looked.

"Alright, alright," she said in defeat. "So... I take it that you'll walk me back to my apartment."

"Yup!" I merrily replied. "Finally, I'll know where the mysterious transfer student lives."

"Argh. You keep winning today, Kuroo-san," L/n-san told me as she resumed walking and I followed her.

"Well, I'm spending time with you and walking you to your apartment. Clearly I'm on a hot streak," I responded with a grin. "By the way, why did you buy a lot of groceries?"

"It's a whole month's worth of groceries," she said. "As for fresh ones like meats, vegetables and fruits, I just buy them at the shop across our apartment building."

"Oh, I see. But seriously, a backpack? I never thought of putting my groceries in a backpack before," I told her.

"Well, I'm just being practical. With the backpack, my hands are free," she responded as she gestured jazz hands.

We continued talking as we walked and I would be lying if I said that I couldn't feel my shoulders starting to ache due to the heavy load.

"Kuroo-san, we're here," L/n-san said as we reached in front of an apartment complex.

With several more paces, we finally reached the front door of her apartment and the girl wasted no time to open it swiftly.

"Please come in," she told me as she gestured for me to enter her apartment.