2 - New Kid

I hear a light knock on the door. Who could that be? I lower the volume of the music and look at Larry, who is already looking at the door.

"Who is it?" he yells, paintbrush still in hand.

I hear a deep voice from the door, "Uh, hey. I just moved into 402 and I met your mom, she sent me down here to say hi." the voice says.

I slowly put down the bag of chips, "Doors open!" I yell.

A short blue haired boy with a strange mask walks in. If I hadn't heard his voice, I would have thought he was a girl.

"Woah, that's such a cool mask little dude!" Larry says as he springs up from the easel.

"It's a prosthetic." the boy says, emotionless almost.

Larry turns to me, but I'm focused on the boy.

"Is there a problem, y/n?" Larry asks me. I realized I had zoned out on the boy.

I quickly remove my gaze and look to the floor, embarrassed. "Oh my God, no! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" I blurt out.

"Looks like someone has a crush." Larry jokes. He sure does love to embarrass me.

"Shut the hell up Larry!" I snap at him, then turn back to the boy, "I'm sorry about that, I'm y/n, and this is my brother Larry."

He nods, "I'm Sal, my friends call me Sallyface."

Larry bursts out laughing, "I'm sorry man, what kind of friends would call you 'Sallyface'?"

I nudge Larry in the shoulder. He's rude sometimes, even if he doesn't realize it.

"Yeah, bullies at my old school used to call me it so, I just thought the best way to handle it was to own the name so they couldn't use it against me." Sal says.

"Huh- that's, pretty cool." I say.

He looks at me and nods. I notice his pretty blue eyes, because they're the only part of his face I can really see.

Trying not to zone out again, I stand up and turn on Sanity's Fall.

"Listen to this, I think you'd like it." I tell him and turn up the volume.

Me and Larry start to head bang, at first Sal stands there confused, but he joins in soon enough.

"That's crazy good, what's the name?" Sal asks when the song ends.

"Pretty cool, right? It's called Sanity's Fall, it's really the only thing me and y/n listen to." Larry laughs.

I'm glad he likes my music, I can tell we're gonna be great friends.

"Hey, what's your number? I was thinking I could put you in a group chat with Larry and me. Y'know, to talk about music and stuff." I say awkwardly. I'm not one with words.

"Yeah, totally." he says from under the mask. I give him my phone and he puts his number in.

I'm glad the new neighbors my age, I'm tired of listening to Chug whine about food and Todd talk about science stuff, as much as I love them.

"I uh, better get going," Sal says after a minute of silence, "I'm sure my dad wants me to unpack."

Larry and nod as we watch Sal leave. I wonder why he left so soon. Well, I wonder a lot of things about him.

"Dude, you were totally blushing." Larry laughs as we hear the apartment door shut.

I feel my cheeks, "Was I?" I ask.

"Yea dude. It was so obvious." Larry teases me.

"Oh shut up! It's- not like that." I look at the floor again.