Gossip and Wine

Amelia hadn't heard anything from Nicholas since their fight and she was glad right...? Sure, he had these sky blue eyes and dark brown hair. When he smiled it was like the world lit up.....but she didn't care about that! He was obnoxious and arrogant but so beautiful.......

She smacked herself "Get a grip Amelia." she sighed shaking her head. There was a ball tonight she had to be focused. Everyone was expecting them to be the perfect little happy couple, she scoffed 'piece of cake right?'

Right then there was a knock at her door a servant appeared and bowed, "Milady it's time to prepare for the ball." Amelia smiled kindly, "Of course." She followed the servant out into the hallway, where Nicholas was exiting a room. He had already gotten prepared. He was wearing a black on black suit with an simple pattern on it. The black made his eyes pop, Amelia couldn't help but stare for a moment.

He caught her eye and smiled, seeming like he found this all too amusing. She frowned 'What was so funny? Was he just not mad?' she pondered over this while being dressed.

All too soon it was time for the ball, she took a deep breath and smoothed down her dress. Putting on her blank, expressionless face she always wore while doing royal duties. Everyone who was anyone was there tonight all drinking and mingling.

She started meaningless conversations with other royals, Amelia didn't even know what they were talking about. She was paying zero attention till they mentioned Nicholas. "-Nicholas doing?" Amelia took a double take "I'm sorry?"
"I said, how is your marriage to Nicholas doing? Word in the kingdom says he's dreadful." the woman chuckled. Amelia grimaced, "Oh it's going well, he's not that bad."

At that the woman only laughed harder, her wine swishing around her glass threatening to spill. "Dear girl you don't have to sugarcoat it with me. Everyone knows he's been simply awful since that tragedy in the family." The brunette princess raised a brow, "Tragedy?" she asked confusedly.

The woman gave her an incredulous look, "Why you don't know?" At Amelia's shake of the head 'no' the woman chuckled once again. "Well long ago Nicholas and his mother were out on a picnic when they got attacked by bandits! The poor dear lost his mother and got an awful bump on the head. Lost his memory completely because of it. Never was the same person."

Amelia gaped, 'how on Earth have I not heard of this?' I always thought he'd changed but not that seriously.. The woman patted her arm "Well deary I must be going. Wonderful talking to you." The princess nodded and muttered "You too." She had been completely wrong...but how much of a different person was he really?