You're in shock, Strauss only leaving you about 24 hours to process it all and prepare for a new job. There's no way you could request reassignment to a different unit. You've already been given your second chance. It's now or never to get back into the FBI.

You've been out of work for a year. For a year, you've been struggling to cope with the loss of coworkers and innocent people. A loss that's completely on your shoulders. Blood that's on your hands. It was enough of an adjustment to get back to normal. Well as close to normal as can be. Your government-issued therapist, as you like to call her, attempted to dismantle this idea. She tried her best to remove the guilt from your mind, but after the government aid for the sessions ran out, you abandoned all hope of restoring yourself to the mental state you were in before. Everything in your life now is the after. You can't live in the before. It's too painful.

But now? Now it feels like all the work you've done to heal, to move on, to continue your life is rapidly unraveling in front of you. How would you adjust to seeing Aaron Hotchner once again? You hope that by now, he won't have as much of an impact on you. You've experienced so much life, so much living, so much loss since then.

You've had other relationships, loved other people, slept with other people, but the impact that Hotch had on your life is permanent. When you think about it too long it feels ridiculous, the fact that a silly little fling in your early 20s has managed to change you so much. So much so, that now, at 29, you can still sense remnants of his impact on your life. They're small moments, in which you realize that your behavior has changed so drastically over the years because of him. Your tongue is sharper. You stand up for yourself more often, and you never ever let anyone walk all over you the way he did.

You spend the day worrying yourself sick about the new position. You can't turn it down. This job is your last chance.

Monday morning, your alarm rings wildly next to you in bed, but your eyes are already open. You've been staring at the ceiling for the past hour unable to sleep. You've been tossing and turning restlessly, unable to focus on anything else but the last few memories you have of Aaron Hotchner. Your mind first goes to that last day of classes, thinking about the way he smiled at you from across his desk. The way that damn leather-bound book felt in your hands. The way that he kissed you. He made you feel so special. Your mind then travels to the rest of that weekend, one in which he managed to rip your heart out of your chest and tear it into a million little pieces.

You think of the last thing you heard from him. Those same words he had spoken to you once before, but spoken to someone else. At that moment, you realized that you were nothing special. You were just another girl Professor Hotchner used for sex.

You're hopeful that you will be able to move forward with professionalism. There's a second where you consider the possibility of becoming friends with Aaron Hotchner, but you know that's impossible. You can't look at him and ignore all the hurt he caused you. You can, however, be professional. You know you can work with him. It might just tear you up inside, but you can do it. You have to.

However, you wonder what kind of person he's become in the past eight years. You know you've changed dramatically, but what has happened to him? How has his life gone? How did he end up in the FBI?

You wonder if he's learned to love. The man that you knew was one who was seemingly incapable of ever loving anyone. It's clear to you that back then he was too selfish, too wrapped up in his own head to dedicate anything real to anyone else. And if he ever did feel anything real for you, he was too emotionally damaged to handle it, work through it, or to tell you about it.

Your alarm rings again. You snooze it again. What will you say to him? What do you want your first words to be to him? Will you tell him off? Should you even acknowledge the past? Or should you just put on your best air of professionalism and approach this as you would any new job? It seems impossible to push aside the past and treat him as a new person. Because he's not a new person. He's a man who has shaped every decision you've made in your life since knowing him.