Chapter 67: Killed me sweet

Start from the beginning

"Is it working?" I shouted at Rolf.

"I don't know!" and Rolf shouted back with horror in his voice. Then Neshama curled its root and swallowed the soul trap, dragging it down into the ground. The next second, it was gone. 

And there was complete silence. 

"No, no no... No!" I darted towards the spot where I left the soul trap. "It just ate the trap! It's gone!" it was hard to speak with raspy breathing. Rolf didn't say anything but instead stared at the tree silently, frightened.

Gradually, the glowing lights from Neshama faded as well and soon it became nothing more than an ordinary tree.

"What? No..." Tears began blurring my vision. "What's happening..? I messed it up!" It was that crushing moment when I felt like everything meant nothing. I dropped on the ground on my knees.

I felt hopeless. I shook my head, unable to digest what just happened. 

"NOOO!" I bellowed. My body couldn't resist the anger and bent forward, my forehead hitting the brutally cold ground. My hand formed a fist and I punched the ground, trembling uncontrollably. "I messed it up... I'm sorry Y/N..."

Tears burst out, and I could feel the ground dampen. Crowd footsteps approached and stopped.

"...Draco, what happened?" I heard Kyle's voice from behind and I felt my throat closing up.

– Kyle's pov –

When the rest of us followed them into the suitcase and reached a giant tree, Draco was crying with the force of a person vomiting. He screamed like he was being ripped off or murdered, murmuring the same sentence over and over, with hints of blood on his fist that .

"I... messed it up," he struggled with speaking. The tree in front of us stood indifferently. It wasn't hard to notice that something didn't go right.

We stood silently and mourned.

I knelt beside Draco and tried speaking to him. "Draco... we tried. let's–"

"Wait, what's that?" then asked Hermione. I looked over at her and she was pointing at the tree. I shifted my eyes to the tree and a small blue flame was sparking weakly inside the hollowed trunk of the tree.

"Rolf..?" I turned to Rolf and a smile began forming on his face.

"Draco..! Draco!" Rolf shouted. I looked back at the tree and now there were more and more dazzling blue flames beautifully flickering inside. Draco slowly lifted his head up.

"...Wow" I gasped at the alluring sight laid in front of my eyes. The flames led up to the top of the tree and spread through every branch. 

Then suddenly, rays of exploding, blinding light beamed out and I looked away, covering my eyes with my forearm.

– Draco's pov –

I looked up and saw Neshama going back to its original magical form. Before I could even give it a thought, I had to look away because of a sudden explosive glare. I could feel the heat touching my skin from where the light was coming.

I cautiously looked back and through my half-opened eyes, I could make out a shilouette of someone, unveiling oneself from thick tree leaves... descending in air.

And soon I heard a voice.

"Hi," It was the voice that I'd been longing to hear, the one responsible for all my sleepless nights, the one that killed me sweet. 

It was Y/N.

I was speechless. I just missed her so much and she was... standing right in front of me. 

"Am I dreaming?" I whispered to myself and Y/N smiled.

"No." There were tears in her eyes. I slowly rose from the ground and stepped closer to her. My heart was racing. I carefully stretched out my arm, shaking in disbelief.

But I stopped. I couldn't stretch out further to touch her. I was scared that I wouldn't be able to touch her, that I was merely hallucinating. That's when she grabbed my hand and pulled it to her face.

"It's okay, I'm here," she whispered, closing the distance between us.

I gasped. A stream of tears from her eyes met my hand on her cheek. She then flung her arms around my neck and pulled me into a hug. 

I froze. I could feel her warmth. I was hugging her and it felt too good to be real. I hugged her tighter, sobbing.

"Thank you, Draco," Y/N whispered. In her embrace, I felt happy for the first time in a very long time.

She pulled herself away slightly and stared into my eyes. Her eyes were crying but her lips were smiling.  She looked beautiful.

I put both my hands on her face and kissed her.