Chapter 15: Conflicting News

Start from the beginning

Taking her hand, Suna guides her over to her bed and [f/n] wordlessly plops down. He sits down next to her, their legs pressed up against each other. [f/n] leans against him, her head resting on his shoulder.

"Bunko University rejected me," [f/n] hoarsely says. "I was too confident in my abilities and academics that when the rejection came, it just..."

She lets out a harsh laugh. "No no no. Now I sound arrogant and conceited. I shouldn't have been overconfident and now all I feel is... I don't even know what I'm feeling right now. Why don't I feel anything? I want to cry. I want to scream. But I...I just can't feel anything Rin. I want to feel something Rin."

Suna shook his head. "It's ok to feel like that. It's ok to be numb. But don't bottle everything up [f/n]. If you want to cry, I'm offering you this once in a lifetime chance to sob on my shoulder. Normally, I would've charged you for it." A teasing smile broke out across his face.

[f/n] laughs at him, slapping his thigh. "I will gladly take this opportunity to wipe my snot all over your expensive shoulder. I will savor this opportunity so you can't take your words back."

"Please do. As I said, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity," Suna jokes, crookedly smiling. He firmly holds one of her hands in his, his calloused fingers brushing over her knuckles.

[f/n] leans further into his warmth and closes her eyes. Hot tears slips down her face and lands onto the cotton fabric, staining it. Tightly gripping onto Suna's hand with both of her hands, [f/n]'s shoulders shuddered with noiseless sobs. Suna reassuringly squeezes her hands.

They stay in that position for what felt like hours. Suna's shoulder was damp and he was sure that the blood circulation in his hand was cut off but he heed it no attention. Instead, he turned to properly face [f/n]. He eyes flicked to her red puffy eyes and runny nose. He reaches out to cup her cheeks and he softly wipes her cheeks. Attentively caressing her cheeks, he presses a kiss to her forehead.

"Wanna eat some ice cream? We could buy out the ice cream at the store and then watch Doraemon," Suna suggests, tucking a loose strand of [f/n]'s hair behind her ear.

[f/n] cheekily grins at him and nods. "Did you read my mind?" she responds with a lilting laugh.

"Yes, I am most definitely a psychic." A sarcastic drawl makes its way out of Suna's mouth. Rolling her eyes, [f/n] flicks his shoulder. Suna pulls her up from the bed and [f/n] follows him down the hall.

☾☼☽

"I hate it. I hate it. I hate it," [f/n] angrily sobs as she scoops another spoonful of ice cream into her mouth. In front of them, the TV was brightly casting an episode of Doraemon. "I hate life and I hate it here. I want to be Doraemon. I just want to eat and go on fun adventures."

She angrily shovels another cold spoon of ice cream up. Suna counts down the 5 stages of grief and prays that [f/n] will reach the acceptance stage soon. [f/n] leans over and digs her spoon into Suna's tub of ice cream. With tears streaking down her face, she fills her cheeks with the freezing sweet dessert. Under normal circumstances, Suna would've scowled and turned away from her to protect his portion of ice cream but tonight, he felt that [f/n] would be needing all the ice cream she could get. He allows her to eat both of their tubs of ice cream as she continues her rant.

Letting out a sigh, [f/n] slumps over. "I'm so tired Rin." The eye bags and worn smile on her face made Suna frown. Setting down his tub of ice cream, he pulls [f/n] into his lap. She lets out a surprised gasp and scrambles to balance herself. He pushes her head against his chest and rests his chin on top of her head.

"Sleep."

[f/n] blinks in surprise and she opens her mouth to protest that she wasn't feeling sleepy yet but the rhythmic beating of his heart was a soothing sound to her. Pressing her ear against Suna's warmth, she snuggles in. The soft thumping of his heart calmed down her nerves and jitteriness. Sooner or later, [f/n] falls into a dreamless sleep, muted snores coming from her lips. Suna had too fallen asleep, the TV casting a blue light on the two of them.