C h a p t e r 1

hello this is my very first wattpad story (I had some others but I am still working on them) enjoy!

Sophia

Public Relations Consultant needed immediately. Expertise required to finesse an executive who can't stand the press. To put it bluntly, this job requires the patience of a saint. Do not apply if you can't stand up to a CEO who needs you, but really doesn't want to need you. Please apply with these considerations in mind. Excellent pay and benefits. Inquire at HR@chandlerinternational.com for additional details.

I almost spewed coffee all over the table when I read this job posting. Dear God. I'd never seen an ad like this. I set my coffee down and swallowed my laughter. I was sitting in a high-end coffee shop in downtown Manhattan, frequented by Wall Street executives and the like.

I read the advertisement again. To make it even more amazing, the website where I came across this posting was only for high-end public relations positions. You couldn't even gain access to the site without being invited after recommendations from prior employers. Most of the ads made me want to gag, they were so hoity-toity about what they needed. Don't get me wrong. I loved my job. I ran a small Public Relations Consultation business. I was my own boss in some ways, yet I worked for the companies that hired me to clean up their messes. I thrived on stepping in when companies needed help turning their public image around, but they usually tried to make it seem as if the image problems were a public misunderstanding and nothing to do with the company. This advertisement was brutally honest.

Chandler International was owned by the legendary Lucas Chandler, known for his brilliance as an engineer, inventor and investor. He had revolutionized sustainable energy production and was reputedly one of the wealthiest men in the world. He was also known for his thin patience with the media. He was the quintessential handsome, sexy CEO who got pissed off when the media paid attention to his social life. I'd read about his latest blow up when he walked off the set of a live interview.

Thus far, Chandler International had eschewed hiring a PR firm to help manage these issues. Lucas Chandler openly disdained the need for it. However, it appeared his company wanted him to find a way to make nice with the media.

I quickly clicked out of the screen and did a search for Lucas Chandler. One click, and I was staring at a man who was ridiculously handsome.

Dark hair, piercing green eyes, and a body made for sin. His suits looked as if they were in love with him. My pulse kicked up a notch just looking at a picture of Lucas. A siren blared in the far reaches of my mind. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to throw my hat in the ring for this job if my boss-to-be was so fucking hot he made me wet just looking at his picture. Especially given the reasons why I was currently between consultations. I ignored that siren and batted those worries away.

I loved a challenge.

"Ms. Dawson?"

I glanced over to see a Danny James stepping out of one of the closed doors in the suite where I'd been waiting. As Mr. Chandler's personal assistant, he'd been part of my interview here. I smoothed my skirt and uncrossed my legs, standing quickly. I couldn't say I knew why, but Chandler International had hired me for the consultant contract.