16. The Approval

En başından başla

Draco furrowed his eyebrows, letting out an aggravated shout, pulling his hair. He groaned, staring at his phone one last time before walking back to his waffles. “Why isn’t she calling me back? Wait, does she expect me to call her first? I mean, I will - I just, it’d be nice if she initiated it first.”

---

Hermione stared at her phone, laying in her bed idly as she let out a sigh. “Stop it, Hermione. You’re being ridiculous.” She reprimanded herself, tossing the phone beside her on the bed. “Just stop thinking about him, sleep some more.” She muttered as she buried herself deep under her covers, shifting in her bed continuously.

An eternity passed but really, only a few seconds passed before Hermione suddenly sat up in her bed, throwing the covers off of herself. She quickly took a look at her phone and groaned, collapsing back down on the bed. “Why isn’t he calling?”

A thought popped into her head. “Wait, does he want me to call him first?” She asked herself and grabbed her phone. “Fine, you know what? I’ll call first.” She said, calling Draco’s phone . confidently. She fixed her hair as she waited nonchalantly. But the second she heard the first ring, she hung up, throwing her phone away from herself. “Shit.”

“No, I’m not calling because …” Hermione sighed, getting out of bed. “I am busy today. Yeah, I’m busy and I don’t have time to wait for his ca--” Her cellphone blew up with her ringtone and she jumped back on the bed, grabbing her phone and looked at the screen. He was calling. Hermione fixed her hair, sitting correctly on the bed as she cleared her throat. After a few deep breaths, she picked up. “Hello?” She answered with the most gentle voice she could muster.

“Granger,” Draco’s husky voice said from the other line.

Hermione jumped right back into her bed, kicking her legs up with joy as she screamed internally. “What do you want, Malfoy?” She asked, completely composing herself to remain calm and indifferent. “I’m busy,”

“Doing what?” Draco asked on the other line.

“With work,”

“Well, I just wanted to call because …” Draco stood in the middle of his living room, rubbing the back of his neck. Shit. He didn’t think this far into it. No, why did he have to lie? They were adults now, he wasn’t some teenager. He should just say the truth. “I called because I wanted to talk to you,” He finally said after a few moments of hesitation.

“About?” Hermione asked feeling her cheeks turn red.

“I just wanted to hear your voice.” Draco clarified, his eyes widening at his sudden boost of confidence - or temerity.

“Wh--”

“I’m just kidding,” He quickly cut her off with a forced chuckle. “Oh, did you actually think I was calling because of that?” He asked, the words flying out of his mouth before he could stop them.

Hermione opened her mouth to say something but shut it, groaning inwardly. She was stupid to think he even meant that. “Ugh, I don’t have time for your silly games, Malfoy. Goodbye,” She said, hanging up and tossing her friend carelessly on the bed. She sat in her bed for a long time before getting up with a sigh. “To think I thought he actually meant it!” She shouted, walking into the bathroom.