"My father is going to be livid," Jennie murmured softly. "But, fuck him."

Lisa gasped. "Did you really just say that?"

Jennie nodded. "I had such a wonderful day, Lisa. Your work was so relaxed, and I didn't have to sit there while someone insulted me. I didn't have to break my back to get paperwork done. I didn't have to fire good people and feel like a piece of shit. I had lunch with your mother and we had a talk about everything. I just... I realized today that I'm not happy at Kim Corp, and I don't know why I ever thought I needed my father's approval."

Lisa's throat felt like it was swollen shut. The emotions in her chest were tight and warm. "Jennie, I'm... that's all I ever wanted you to realize. I just went about it so wrong, and I'm so sorry. Even though I did my own thing and broke rules, I still had such a rough day. I feel so shit knowing you were going through that and also dealing with my bullshit. I can't be sorry enough. I failed as your partner. I failed you, and I'm so sorry."

Jennie shook her head and kissed her, and Lisa tasted the salt of tears. "Lisa, I think my love for you is stronger now than it ever was. Nothing is more important than you, absolutely nothing. I want to dedicate myself to you."

Lisa wanted to cry. "I want to give you the support you deserve. I'm yours, Jennie. I should be lifting you up, never dragging you down."

"We're only human, Lisa."

"I still fucked up, and I want to make it up to you."

"You already have." Warm tears spilled down Jennie's cheeks. Lisa wiped them away with her thumb. "Just love me, Lisa. Love me for the rest of our lives."

Lisa's smile was shaky, but it was loving. "I do. I love you more than anything." She pressed Jennie's palm to her chest, where her pulse thumped steadily. "I promise on my life."

They kissed again, tears drying up. It didn't get heated, as they were too tired. The dogs were whining for attention too. After getting them settled, Lisa had a quick shower and then walked Jennie to the bedroom.

"I wish I could sleep in the same bed as you," Lisa told her, frowning.

Jennie gently played with her fingers. "Soon, love." She leaned up and kissed her. "I want more than anything to sleep in your arms again."

They stood there like teenagers, holding each other, pretending they weren't exhausted enough to drop. Eventually they parted, reaching out for each other until their hands dropped and Lisa retired to the guest room. She tossed and turned all night, acutely feeling the empty space beside her.

She couldn't wait for the next step, hoping that it would finally give her back the wife she missed so dearly.

*

Jennie poured some coffee in a flask and thought deeply about her next step regarding her work. It was only 5am and still dark out, and she was exhausted. She barely slept because she missed Lisa too much, so she ended up just going to her study, but she didn't want to do anything for Kim Corp so she just curled up on her comfortable chair and read. Reading was something she hadn't been able to do in almost 2 years, and she never realized how much she had missed it.

Soft footsteps drew her attention and she turned to see Lisa wobbling down the hallway. Her eyes were lidded and she was clearly still half asleep. There were dark circles underneath her eyes, too, so when she was close enough Jennie pulled her closer and pressed a hand to her face.

"Why are you up?"

Lisa smiled at her. "Couldn't really sleep much. Heard you were up so I just wanted to say good morning."