Tom

I recollected all the exciting ,vulnerable and honest moments I had with Tom as I drove down to his house. If I had the capability of being in love with anyone else, it was going to be Tom, he was a brother I never had.

"You are too volatile Tani, life is hard already,every other person needs you to be kind, violence worsens everything". He said to me one night after we were evicted out of a nightclub because one of their VIPs tried to touch me.

"You know how I feel about sexual harassment "

"I do, but you're very very attractive,you can't exactly keep lawless men off you. You just learn to defend yourself, not attack, even in your everyday life, defence not offence,that's how you get through life".

"Lawless men should be put in their places, I'm not a veterinarian for badly bred animals"

"Hmmn, you amuse me, if I had you to myself ,I would never touch you"

I laughed out loudly as my mood lightened up , the way he teased me soothed my spirits.He just had a way of improving everything that pertained to me.

From the very first day I saw him with the canon  camera, he's been one hell of friend, brother, parent sometimes, babysitter, and therapist. He was everything I wanted in a man except he wasn't the man I wanted. He didn't deserve how I treated him at Trey's house but the truth was there, he was dating my sister without my knowledge, it was too much, he never hid anything from me. I should just listen to what he had to say,he deserved that much.

Tom wasn't  the oldest in the group but he was the most mature of us all ,he was the sane one and kept the peace in the group, he was wise and logical. Sophistication and Culture were his watchword, he had the least net worth among us but he always carried himself  with so much grace and charm. I always envied the woman that was going to grab his heart, he had been through a few ladies over the years who never saw his worth. When it came to love, he was a slave.

How he ended up with my sister was still a mystery to me. She was meaner than those girls that had put him through hell all these years. Why the hell was he attracted to mean girls ?, what was it with terrorists and wicked ladies that set him off ?, I wanted answers. All he was good at was  giving love, loyalty, transparency and these girls acted like he was too much for them. I was sure my sister would never be like that but then, I hope he had not changed because of that and he wouldn't change.

He was  one man whose convictions were solid. It would take you a while to change his mind about something he believed in

"I put my principles to work or action before I let them stick with me, that's why its hard to change my mind once it's set. I'm a great person because being great has worked for me, period!". He said once at Whiskey Night.

"Hmmn!,too much sense in that man", Toby smiled pointing at him in support.

"You can't always be right though" Trey retorted .

"Of course bro, that's why I'm human, I can't always be right, we can only attain excellence, that's the limit, as long as self improvement never stops, excellence it is". Tom responded.

"To excellence!!!" I raised my glass and the group joined in.

I sighed heavily as I drove into his street, parked my car in front of his building and rang the bell to his penthouse.

His penthouse was featured in a lifestyle magazine as the most luxurious and beautiful penthouse in the world. He had a eye for the good stuff and he always went in for whatever he wanted for himself. He had lost his parents to an accident at a very young age and when you met his uncle Timothy, you would know why he grew up so well. Uncle Timothy refused to get married or have children of his own because he wanted to raise 'Tommy' the best way he could.