Day 2

Daylight shone brightly above them as the rays cascading through the tree limbs reached the children's faces. It was apparent that, much to Arnolds dismay, he had indeed fallen asleep next to her but wouldn't allow her to know that.

"I can't believe it!" Helga yelled as she sat up and hit him with his torch. "I specifically told you to wake me up and not take the watch all on your own. Do you have worms in your ears?!"

"I'm... I'm sorry, Helga." Arnold frowned as he dodged the next swing. "I tried to wake you, but you were so sound asleep you wouldn't budge..." He knew it was a lie, but only a partial one. She did sleep rather soundly and nothing but danger would give him want to rouse her from her slumber.

"Then budge me harder!" She hollered, swinging the large stick in his direction again. Truthfully, she felt incredibly guilty that he shouldered the whole night without asking for any help. Did he not trust her? Did he have that much sympathy for her, given all she had told or her injury, that he couldn't bear to give her anymore to deal with? Was she his next charity case? "I can't believe you..." She hissed angrily before throwing the torch at his feet.

Deciding to take the blame and her anger, Arnold simply picked up the torch and wrapped it in the leaves they had used as a bed. Securely, he held it under one arm. "Let's go up river this time..." He suggested as he looked in that direction. "We know this is where the stream ends, I think its best to find out where the stream begins."

Helga walked over to the lake and looked down at her wavy reflection. Her sleep was definitely refreshing and all she needed now was a nice drink and probably a couple of bananas for breakfast and she would be set. Kneeling down, she cupped her hands under the water and brought it to her face. It tasted very minerally but it was something she could tolerate.

Watching her, Arnold shrugged and figured she had the right of it. Setting down his new luggage, he walked next to her to do the same. They both took sips and glanced at each other. Smiling awkwardly as to try and quell her frustration, he took a long drink. He wanted to say he was sorry many more times but that was only to make her less angry. He really wasn't all that sorry at all. He had, had a rather wonderful sleep himself. It was undisturbed and the feeling of someone close next to him, warm and inviting, only made things that much more delightful.

Helga splashed his face in frustration and moved over towards the bunch of bananas they hadn't finished yet. Gathering what she intended on eating in one hand, the other dragged the bunch over to him. "We eat then we leave."

"Why don't we walk and eat?" He asked as he wiped the water off of his face. "That way we don't lose more sunlight than necessary."

"You won't be walking very far with no energy." The girl stated as she harshly threw the bunch at his feet. "You'll be a walking corpse in no time."

He looked down at the bunch and then back at her. "I'm fine, Helga. Really..."

"If you get too tired and can't go on, I do not have the strength to drag you." She explained as she pointed to her ankle. The swelling was mostly gone and its color was back to normal. "It may look fine, but trust me, nature boy, it still hurts like a mother scratcher."

Frowning, Arnold picked up a few bananas and sat down on the ground. They both ate taciturnity until finished, gathered up their things and headed in the direction of choice. Arnold knew full well that if he tried to say anything on the subject, she would only become angrier. In fact, he was pretty sure if he said anything at all that it would only influence her to lash out some more... so the walk was quiet.

Meanwhile, Helga was struggling in her own rights. Going back and forth in her brain between wanting to say something to him, worrying that he was now upset with her for being upset, and her actually still being upset with him. She recalled her peaceful night sleep and really only felt guilty. She indulged in his affection, snuggled up close and allowed herself to rest. As far as she knew, they stayed that way the whole night. This was something she could have never imagined they would ever do... and yet, here she was mad about it. In a way, it made no sense. In a way, she was wrong for being mad but at the same time she hated the thought of him doing everything himself. He helped support her weight all day the day prior. He found them food. He set up the camp. He basically did everything for her including standing watch all night so she could be safe. That no good, goody-goody... She growled to herself with each ginger step. How hard would it have been just to wake me? I would have loved to wake up to him nudging me or calling my name! Sure, I probably would have still been annoyed to be woken up and forced to stay awake to watch for literally nothing but, Helga looked over at her companion as he walked in front. But I want to do more than just... this! She shrieked in her mind as her eyes looked down at her feet. If she hadn't of gotten injured, would he still be treating her this way? Or was this just his way of being a gentleman?