"Yes, Commander."

"Turner..." Burnett stopped. There was something about that figure he had seen taking the infant. The large man wasn't a man at all, Burnett suspected. And he wasn't part of the local population. Faint traces of his voice came back to Burnett. That stings a bit. "Turner, I'm thinking Russia and the colder the better."

"Yes sir."

Commander Burnett sat back in the chair after cradling the receiver. He felt the smile and let it stay. There had been very little to be happy about but, this...This felt right.

"Hodges, thank you for coming. I need for you and your team to look for another vessel. Our list has been taken, however, if you move quickly, you should be able to take one before the children move to protect them." While Russia felt right, he wanted back-up for this. No more failures. Get the original woman. Get a back up. Locate the child and take her. With the new vessel and the child, he could let himself give in to the rage that filled him when he thought about the time spent hunting for the black-haired bitch. Slowly he loosened his grip on the arms of the leather chair, letting the image of her throat in his grasp vanish.

"Yes sir."

"And Hodges?" A deep exhale brought a moment of clarity. "You have a month. Do not fail me."

The man nodded, saluted, then left and finally Burnett was alone.

Alone with a raging erection and lost in visions of the bloody hell that awaited Chevonne.

~

Chevonne leaned against Kian, watching Trey feed Nadia. Such an impossible sight. Their child.

Another thing she would have to thank the people after them for, before they died. Through their actions, she had more love than most would ever experience, once they figured out what was going on with her, they could have their forever, and now, her... their child.

Though Nadia had been premature, the following weeks had been amazing to watch. Her skin wasn't as translucent as it was when Chevonne had seen her laying alone and crying in that lab. She was slowly gaining weight and she was loved. And already in the process of being spoiled. Someone was always holding her, the most surprising volunteer being Draven. He would watch her with his tri-colored eyes and the soft curve up his lips never failed to bring warmth to her heart.

He had come so far on their journey together. A journey that began with a single step, a harsh breath, and a racing heart. So much fear, she could have drowned in it.

She was human at the moment, so there was no way for him to read her thoughts, but he still reached for her hand, running his thumb over her knuckles. She couldn't stop the smile as she looked at him and found him watching Nadia.

"Do you think that you will sometimes care for her?"

Chevonne asked and he smiled, bringing her hand to his lips. "Perhaps by sometimes, you mean always. That answer is 'of course'."

A noise came from their host and Chevonne glanced at Ilya.

"Formidable," he said, brown eyes meeting hers.

"Lucky," she countered and Ilya laughed even as Draven's fingers tightened.

Silence settled around them, a comfortable one, but within that, Chevonne began to grow drowsy. Something that was happening more and more often. She wasn't sure if it was because of sometimes humanity, or if it was a change in sleeping patterns, but she couldn't deny that she was worried. Things that didn't bother her before her change now terrified her because she didn't know what was going on. If she sneezed, she feared for her life. If she craved water or wine or whiskey, she would sometimes give into the tears. She had grown comfortable in her vampiric body. She had adjusted. Learned to hunt. And then she let it get taken from her.