The new girl

Andi had never been a very confident person. She constantly worried about what others were thinking. Everytime she walked through the school corridors and heard someone laughing she'd wonder if it was about her. The main skill she prized herself in was not being noticed but even still she often felt like she wanted to melt even further into the shadows.

Her best friend was a kind freckled girl called Tina. Andi did have other friends but Tina and her were soulmates. They were both very awkward but Andi loved how they could just be awkward together and it made it just that bit easier.

It was the first Monday back from spring half term and Andi and Tina had maths. They both hated it but there'd been a new seating plan and now they'd got to sit together.

"Urgghh we are literally never gonna need pythagoras why are we even learning this sh*t?" Tina groaned.

"I know right. How did Pythagoras or whatever even make it anyway. Why the hell was he just randomly looking at triangles and thinking you know what? Imma work out a pointless way of finding the sides" replied Andi.

"Yeh good point."

"Maybe he was really really reallllyyyy bored?" Tina suggested.

"Must've been in one of Mr. Grayson's maths lessons."

Tina snorted which made Andi giggle. They were trying to contain their laughter when the dreaded thing happened.

"Andi would you and Tina care to explain what's so funny?" Mr. Grayson's dull drone cut through their snickers.

Andi shifted in her seat "oh ummm..." she looked down at her book - as if there would be anything helpful in there - and frantically tried to stall. She cast a sideways glance to Tina who also looked like she was internally panicking.

Just as Andi was preparing to explain that they weren't really laughing but in fact the back of the class really stank and they were gagging (even though she knew this would never in a million years work) a girl from the row in front spoke up.

"Sir it was me I have that effect on people I'm just really funny."

Mr. Grayson looked slightly shocked (the most expressive Andi had ever seen him). "Ok then. Well umm. Next time you two wait until after my lesson to laugh at other people. Right then do these questions on the board part a to..."

Andi and Tina weren't listening anymore (not that they were in the first place).

"Wait who's that?" Andi whispered. She tried to sneak a better look at the ginger who'd spoken up for them. She'd never seen her before.

"I'm not sure I think she must be new." replied Tina

Andi nodded in agreement, "Whoever she is, she just saved our necks."

"Yeh we should probably say thanks at break."

"You're right. We can do this Tina. If we start mentally preparing now we might be able to overcome our social awkardness by then."

Tina laughed. "Yeh at least for minute or two."

Andi paused for a moment. "Ya know sometimes I think about how if anyone has any idea what's going on or how to, like, function in social situations - or anywhere. Maybe some people are just better at pretending than others."

ok hiii if anyone is reading this. Sorry this is so bad lmao this will probably be a very cringey, shizzy story so sorry about that

also the romance part will probably be very unrealistic as I have literally no experience and am getting most of my impressions of it from movies and stuff lol

if anyone has any tips or anything please comment say if you want to :)

hope you like it xx