Here's To The One I Love

I barely registered my name being called. When my little brother tapped me on the shoulder I looked up and realized it was time for me to go to the front of the room and talk about the girl that meant more to me than anyone could ever imagine. I stood up slowly and made my way to the front of the room, aware of all the eyes on me. I got to the podium and clutched the sides, needing the support. I swear could feel the world crashing down on me as I looked at every person's solemn face. I took a deep breath, and did the hardest thing I could ever imagine doing, delivering the eulogy of the girl I loved.

      "The first day I met Kayla it was in the middle of August. I was at a park, burning up, when I saw a girl drawing under a tree wearing black skinny jeans, a thick, knit sweater, and combat boots. I couldn't believe my eyes. I looked down at my own t-shirt and shorts and I felt the need to know how this girl didn't get heat stroke.

     "I'm a pretty shy guy, so I'm still not completely sure how I managed to walk up to the most beautiful girl I had ever laid eyes on and ask her why she was wearing what she was wearing. She told me she might die if she's too exposed to the sun, because she's a vampire. It was only then did I truly look take in all of her features. Kayla was extremely pale, she had the most incredibly blue eyes I had ever seen, and long black hair that resembled the sky that the stars are contained in. In addition, she was one of the shortest, skinniest girls I had ever seen. She seemed so frail and vulnerable yet strong and fierce all at the same time. Kayla Day was the most perfect girl I have ever or will ever meet."

I paused for a moment, allowing the smallest smile to creep onto my face as I recalled the very first time I had the immense pleasure of meeting Kayla. I remembered how that was the happiest day of my life and how Kayla was so wonderful, and I decided to be strong enough to tell everyone else about it.

     "After making a slight fool of myself, I knew I couldn't let this girl just leave without having at least a conversation with her, so I sat down next to her under the tree. She looked at me with an expression I was never able to figure out, all I know is it was a good thing. I asked her what she was drawing, she told me it was a little place she visited in her mind. I looked at the paper, and it was the most incredible thing I had ever seen. It was a meadow full of people and happiness, it's a little hard to describe, but I knew it was special. I told her she must have a pretty amazing time in her imagination. When she said I had no idea, I knew I needed to know this girl. We sat and at talked for another hour or so and we exchanged numbers. We made our way to our respective homes, me knowing I had just met the most interesting and wonderful girl; and her probably thinking I was a weirdo or something.

      "After the first day in the park we hung out more and got to know each other better. By the time school started, we had become practically inseparable. Neither of us were very 'cool' or had many friends, we were both kind of outcast among our peers. This didn't bother us a bit, and it only brought us closer because we didn't really have anyone else to turn to when we needed someone.

     "Our sophomore year went by pretty smoothly, we talked and we laughed together. We had fun and we were undeniably best friends by the time summer had rolled around. Another memory I have burnt into my mind was the first day of summer vacation. We decided to go out for ice cream to celebrate the freedom found in summer. I gave her a piggyback ride to the store, she was super light so I gave her piggyback rides everywhere. When we got there we both ordered a triple scoop, chocolate ice cream cone. We were on out way to the park where we had first met, because it was only a short ways away. Just when we arrived, Kayla tripped and split the remainder of her ice cream all over her white shirt. I laughed at first, but she seemed really sad, so I looked down at my own white shirt and smashed my own ice cream into it. This made her smile. I would ruin every single article of clothing that I own just to see that girl's smile. I hugged my best friend, both of us in our ice cream stained shirts, and I knew I couldn't stay friends with her for another second, I wanted us to be closer. I kissed her. I kissed her and it was the best decision I ever made, because she kissed me back. My life was complete at that moment, I kissed the girl of my dreams and she kissed me back. I asked her to be my girlfriend, and she agreed on one condition, we would stay best friends forever. I couldn't have asked for anything more, I was the luckiest guy on the planet."

     At this point, my face was covered in tears. It was really difficult to remember these moments that I had with Kayla because I knew there would never be anymore. The reality of the whole situation sunk in more with each word that I spoke, and at this point I have no idea how I'm going to carry on without the one that I love. I have no plan for the future because Kayla was my plan. Now that she's gone, all I can do is share her memory with others and never forget what a truly incredible person she was. It may be hard to talk about Kayla, but it's definitely something I need to do, and I'm going to continue to do it, for now at least.

     "My first date with Kayla was pretty perfect. By this time I had my license and an old, blue car, so we had the freedom to go places. I took her to the park where all the important stuff happened; where we first met, where we had our first kiss, where I asked her to be my girlfriend, and now it was the place we had our first date. We just swung on the swings and we talked about all the little things that were important in life. We shared a few kisses. They were sweet, short kisses that made me feel like I was living my life to the fullest. After the park, I drove us to a little mountain type, cliff thing at sunset. I made us a picnic, and we ate it on the hood on my car. We laughed together and had the time of our lives, doing nothing more than enjoying one another's company. This is the very reason that Kayla is my favorite person in the world, we can be doing something so simple, but it feels like the most important thing in the world. We never do anything extravagant, but it feels extraordinary.

     "That night, when the sun went down and the sky went dark and the stars started shining, I told Kayla something that I felt from the very moment I saw her beautiful face. I told her I loved her. A funny thing happened when I told her this, she told me loved me back. We were in love, and something extraordinary happens when you fall in love. The world falls away, nothing else matters but you and that person. It's as if time stops, and you just don't care because every second you spend with that person is the most precious second you can imagine.

"Kayla means more to me than anyone and I will never stop loving her. Some people said we were naive to be in love at such a young age, but we weren't. I know that we were meant to be together and I know I'll never find someone like Kayla again. I'm heartbroken over the fact that we won't have a future together and don't get more time together, but the times did get with this girl was a blessing. If I had never met Kayla, I wouldn't be the same. She had such a profound effect on the way I live and she will never, ever be forgotten."

     I finished my eulogy, which was really just stories of the most wonderful things that I had ever experienced in my entire life. I stepped away from the podium and I walked towards Kayla's casket, aware of all the eyes on me. I needed to say one last goodbye to the person that meant everything to me.

     "I love you, Kayla. Thank you."

     I walked away from the girl that I loved and the church that her funeral was held in. I walked in my black suit to the park that held so many memories for me. I sat down under the tree and just felt empty. I knew this feeling would never disappear. With time it may diminish, but the empty feeling will never leave me completely, because I know I'll always be missing something. I sat there and waited for my happy ending, knowing it would never come.

Here's To The One I LoveOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara