y/n let out a strangled laugh, causing me to furrow my brows. "louis, that's so sweet. you really don't know what you're saying, huh?"

i shook my head, there was no reason to lie. "i'm not very good at comforting people."

she smiled, which confused me even more. i thought she was sad? "that makes two of us."

i opened my arms, inviting her in for a hug. that was the only part of comfort i was good at. people seemed to like my hugs for whatever reason, so i always just opened my arms up for them.

she hesitated, looking at the door one last time before she leaned into my chest, her shoulder pressed into me. i wrapped my arms around her body, laying my cheek on top of her head when the side of her head hit my shoulder.

the movie still played as i held her in an embrace, i just wanted her to be happy. all i wanted was for my best friend to not be sad.

y/n's phone chimed next to her, causing her to pick it up quickly. i let go of her so she could actually use her other arm. she sighed audibly before typing rapidly.

"what's wrong?" i asked quietly, somewhat hesitant. i didn't want to overstep any boundaries. after all, she had gotten a whole new friend group while i was gone.

it was really weird. sure, we were still friends, but we both had other friends outside of just us. before i moved, it was only us.

the thing was, i felt like i had to compete with her friends for her. i didn't even know them, and it already felt like a competition.

i was jealous. they got to see her while i couldn't, they know her better now than i do. and that hurt, it really did. i didn't know my best friend that well anymore.

i didn't even know if we were still best friends.

she passed her phone over to me, showing me some messages. "it's my friends. i feel kind of bad for being so dry with them, but i've wanted to spend time with you."

i looked down at the phone, reading the messages.

FLORENCE: y/n stop being an ass

CYLIA: ..

LEO: what

FLORENCE: shes hanging out with her perfect neighbor louis partridge and ignoring us or just being blatantly rude

LEO: OH SO THATS WHY SHES BEEN GONE

CYLIA: yes dipshit

RALPH: i'm sure she'll talk to us soon

FLORENCE: ralph ffs stop trying to make her seem perfect she's ignoring us bc she doesn't want to talk to us

EVAN: maybe let her spend time w him??

FLORENCE: i never said she couldn't BUT she was being rude to us she could easily just have said "hey guys i'm gonna be hanging out with louis for a little bit" but no she has to not give us any explanation at all and be a little shit

LILIA: i kinda have to side with florence..

FLORENCE: thank you.

guys- i'm sorry i was just caught up in the moment and i just was being selfish :Y/N

"oh." i said finally, looking at y/n. she had her mouth set in a line, clearly upset. "i don't think they like me." i joked, trying to clear the tension.

"i don't think they like me." she huffed, throwing herself back to lay down. she looked over at me while laying down, and this weird feeling just shot through me.

that's fucking weird.

"i- um maybe i can meet them or something? i'm not trying to join the friend group or anything but maybe if they meet me that might fix some things?" i suggested quickly.

she quickly wet her lips with the tip of her tongue, sitting back up. my breath hitched in my throat, and i silently cursed myself for it.

she's literally your childhood best friend stop. that's not how you're supposed to see her.

"actually, louis." she grinned at me, turning off the tv. "that actually might not be a bad idea."

-

WHY AM I MAKING THEM CATCH FEELINGS SO EARLY OMFG

also sorry for the short chapter