Chapter 14: Dawn of the Streetkids

Start from the beginning

Mid-jump, her head turned and she must've noticed me. After all, she was probably following me this whole time, making sure I got to my destination in one piece. Her eyes met mine and she gestured for me to focus, keep my eyes ahead of me, and to follow her. She managed to get ahead of me pretty quick and I followed suit. Iida was still on our tail, a few cop cars too. This was getting dodgy, I needed to get higher and out of Tenya's line of sight.

I chose to make a risky turn, angling my swing further up, slashing the tape and flipping up onto the roof of a tall building. Proceeding to take off running and do the rest of this chase on foot. I already had a lot of speed and adrenaline built up from the chase, so my feet caught up to me pretty quick. I leapt from roof to roof, building to building, keeping Lyn in the corner of my vision so I didn't lose her.

But I couldn't lose sight of Tenya either, he was catching up to us pretty well, and at this rate he was either gonna kill me or report me, both are not very good looks for me. Besides, if I did get caught, how in hell was I supposed to explain my actions? What happened at the assembly, how dodgy I looked and who I was working with? I couldn't risk questions like that, I had to run away, and never look back. All I had to do was keep up the pace and not fuck this up-

SHIIIIIT-

I had to screech to a stop. Iida used his burst of speed to bounce off the walls of the buildings and hop up right in front of me. Resulting in me hitting his chestplate, the backlash of my speed sending me flying back into the ground and falling on my back. My head clashed against a nearby wall and my body lay there slumped and in pain. I stayed there on the ground for a bit, my back against the wall and recovering from the rush of pain flooding my skull.

"U-Uhrg, ai dios mio" I groaned in agony. But I couldn't just lie there and take it, no, I had to get up. I had to keep running.

Tenya stood over me for a bit, taking his helmet off and holding out his hand, offering to help me up, but I just pushed myself up into a back-flip and stuck the landing without a scratch. I wiped away the subtle nose bleed I got from hitting my head pretty damn hard and panted for fresh air. Tenya backed up from me a bit when I got up, seeing that I was a little unsteady.

"H-Hanta, what was that? Why were you running?" Tenya insisted.

As much as I cared about telling the truth to a fellow classmate, I couldn't afford getting taken down like this. Tenya didn't exactly have a perfect rap with keeping things by the book. He can get physical, and aggravated, so I couldn't risk it. I caught a quick glimpse to the side of the building near me, and saw Lyn hanging off a roof's edge near a window. She was staring, worried I could tell, even behind her mask and the fact that she was a little far away, and made this weird gesture.

She waved her hand to the side, turning her hand and motioning it downwards. It didn't make sense at first, then it hit me. She wanted me to fall off the building? I didn't completely get it, she probably had a plan but this wasn't clicking for me immediately. She was holding something in her hand too.

I had no choice, I had to fall, Lyn-San had a plan and at this point, I couldn't think of anything better than to trust her. I backed up and approached the edge, to the point where my heels were just barely grazing the roof's end. Tenya prepared himself in case I were to launch myself at him and begin a fight.

"What are you hiding Hanta!? Answer me!" Tenya persisted impatiently.

I couldn't help it, I laughed.

"I guess you'll have to find out for yourself Prez, see ya."

With just a wave, I let myself fall backwards, and my body gave way to gravity. Tenya was quick to look over the edge, even tried to catch me, but I was already racing to the bottom.

A hard, sudden pressure hit me in the chest, and I looked to my right to see a blur of Lyn, and a gun pointed to me. She seemed to have shot me but, the pain was already gone, there wasn't any bleeding. I looked down at my chest, and this blank substance started to form around my suit. It was skin tight, and only growing, but it was layering over my suit, reforming it. Okay, this was cool.

It kept going until it made me a new helmet, and I used the enhancements to swing into the darkened alleyways. This was so much better than my other suit! Since it was a little tighter, more sleek with less ad-ons, I was gliding through the air with much more speed and less drag. The cuffs on my elbows made my tape even stronger, but also seemed to cut by itself without me needing to slash it after every swing. And since it was a darker color, I blended in nicely into the night. It kept me warm too, man I have to go over this when I get the chance, and ask Lyn-San what she changed.

I looked behind me, and sure enough, Tenya was nowhere in sight. Thanks to Lyn and her genius little noggin'.

I swung down and that holographic map appeared in my visor again, but since this was the new helmet, the image was much clearer. I followed the path again on foot, finding myself in the middle of the labyrinth of alleyways. I finally took off my new helmet to catch my breath, and got a good look at it. It was like my other helmet, only I could see my reflection in the visor, it was a lot darker in color too, and colors like black, red, and subtle white streaks, and pointed edges on the top that almost looked like horns. The new color palette spread to the rest of my new suit too, so much sleeker and shiner in the night, but softer to the eye.

I looked at a nearby window and with the overhead lamps plus the dark window, I could see how well this suit fitted me. And it fit me good. I looked back at my new helmet, holding it up in the light to see how good the reflection worked. Sure enough, I couldn't see inside, this masked my identity much better. But then I spotted a figure moving up behind me from the reflection in the visor, and turned around to see Lyn's shape emerge from the darkness. I couldn't have been happier to see her.

"Hola! Cerezo! Ai dios mio, you sure as hell got me out of a pinch there! I-I was cornered and you got me out of there so fast, I have no idea how I should thank you. And don't even get me started on the new gear, slick as fuck-"

"Sero... Do you have any idea how much I should be thanking you?" she spoke.

My expression softened, I didn't expect her to change the tone of the conversation like that, I expected someone like her to start shouting to spite me but this was different. She seemed to be proud of me, heh, I must've done my job well. Her entire demeanor was different too, like she was happier to see me this time.

"Thanking me? Heh, for what?"

That's when I noticed, I felt like I was being watched. I looked up around me, people were gathered on the edges of the abandoned buildings that flooded and created the alleyways. All of them weren't one in the same, they were all so different, unique, with different physical attributes, quirk or not. They all seemed hopeful, yet, abandoned. I looked back down at Lyn, to see she had taken off her bulky gas mask, and the happiest smile on her face behind the tears.

She weeped for a little, but then cleared her throat and wiped them away, "For this, Hanta. You brought together so many people who desperately needed a voice. Who needed help... I couldn't be more grateful. You risked everything for me and I can't even express in words how much that means to me"

That's right, that call, it was meant for the abandoned, the forgotten, the ignored. It felt too good to realize I did something that great, it almost brought me to tears too. I couldn't believe Lyn-San, being a villain, would do something this kind and courageous, it reminded me of something. That's when Lyn walked forward into the direct light, and reached out her hand to me.

"You really think corrupt hero society is worth all of what this could be?"

...

I had to think about it, but then something sparked in me, and I took Lyn's hand in mere moments.

"Lyn-San... If you told me that this is what you were planning to do, I would've said fuck it all on day one."

Code: Leap (edited)

h/assets/gear-boots-gloves/034/510/331/manifest/LEAP-gravity-defying-traversal-gear-GDTG-mesa-11