'What did you say?' she whispered.

'Why do you think I came running from the US to stop your wedding and marry you?'

'You told me you ....wanted me.' Khushi reminded him of their conversation on their wedding night.

'I was scared Khushi! I was afraid you would break my heart. That is why instead of telling you I thought I would show you. Actions speak louder than words they say. I thought I could keep you with me by giving you all the luxury in the world.'

That was why he had bought her all those expensive gifts – the diamond necklace set, the saree, the dishwasher he had bought so she didn't have to wash dishes and then the join account. 'Oh Arnav, I didn't care for any of those gifts,' Khushi said emphatically. 'What mattered to me was the donation you made to the dance school – for my students.

'It was then that I had decided that I'd rather live with you than marry NK. I went to him and came clean with him, hoping he would call off the wedding.'

'But you decided to go ahead when he didn't! ' He said sardonically.

'I was planning to call it off just before you landed up on the wedding day!' She cried. 'I realized I couldn't go through with it Arnav. Not even for my parents' sake. I loved you too much.'

Arnav's eyes filled with tears even as his face remained stoic. With the slightest of quiver on his lips he said. 'You loved me so much that you left me without saying anything and came here to hide out in this Godforsaken place, putting me through hell these past three weeks!'

Khushi's tears, were being washed away by the rain that had begun to get stronger. 'You think I have been in heaven all this time – without you?' she tried to shrug off his hands but his grip was firm. 'Let me go!'

'NEVER!' He pushed her back against bark of the tree, his eyes blazing. 'I am not letting you go this time!' He released his fingers when he heard her wince. He raked a hand through his wet hair. 'I am sorry but I can't let you go,' he said with a catch in his throat. 'If I did --- I don't think I will survive Khushi. I LOVE YOU!'

I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU

Khushi's heart clamoured joyously as Arnav's words reverberated all around the woods echoing against the hills and valleys around them. Words, she had been longing to hear from the past five years.

'Why Khushi?' He said stepping back a little. 'How long were you going to continue to protect everyone but yourself?'

'I only care about you Arnav,' she said brokenly.

'I don't need protecting Khushi. You do.' He groaned and put out his arm, pulling her unresisting body against him while she clung, clutching his t-shirt. 'You sweet little fool!'

'It's a terrible story isn't it?'

'The most terrible part is how you were made to suffer. You were so young Khushi – too young. If you had only told me!'

'Please understand,' she implored.

'I don't,' his brown eyes bore into hers. 'I can't believe it.'

'I love you, Arnav,' she exclaimed.

'Why you should, baffles me.'

'Anything that hurts you, hurts me.'

'God,' he said resting his chin on the top of her head. 'You didn't write that monstrosity of a letter either.'

'Forget about it,' she begged.

'I can't believe my own mother would do that to me. A mother who claimed to love me. I spent so long hating you because of that letter. You, the other half of me. By far the better half. My only love.'